Graduated Cylinder For Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XavierZ

Reaction score
I melted the crap out of my hydrometer case recently and looking for a replacement
to store/protect/use with the hydrometer.
I'm considering using a 100ml graduated cylinder with the below specs.

Measure: 100ml
Depth: Approx. 23.5cm
Inner Diameter: Approx. 28 mm
Maximum temperature: 135C
Material: Polypropylene
Color: Transparent

Even if I were to measure 1.000 gravity, I'd still have 7mm clearance from the internal
base. Does anyone use a 100ml cylinder as well and have any issues?

Will work. Any thing that can hold
Enough liquid will be fine.

Will work fine but there is quite alot of wastage in a 100ml cylinder.

Might be time to buy a refractometer?

I have a refractometer too :)
I like to measure with a hydrometer also, specifically at post-fermentation.

Considered a 250ml but thought that was too must wastage and the 100ml
would be much better. Just worried the hydrometer might bottom out.

Got a 100ml glass one, good thing is they usually come with a plastic stand. By the time you place the hydrometer in there at about 1.010 it's really not a lot of wastage, about 80ml at most. I only measure once every couple of batches and can live with that.

I used a glass one of these for a while after melting the plastic case that came with my hydrometer. It turns out they break if you whack them on the tap while trying to shake the liquid out of it.

Other than that, it worked fine, measuring 1.000 was a bit of a challenge but my beers never finish that low...

I used a glass one of these for a while after melting the plastic case that came with my hydrometer. It turns out they break if you whack them on the tap while trying to shake the liquid out of it.

Other than that, it worked fine, measuring 1.000 was a bit of a challenge but my beers never finish that low...

You can buy clear polycarbonate ones.

If it were me i would just buy a new tube and hydro from the HB shop. Chances are as soon as you buy a measuring cylinder, you break the hydrometer.

cheers

tnd

Back