Got any dim sim reciepes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
punkin said:
attachicon.gif
porkbuns1.jpg
:icon_drool2:

I just make an almost weekly trip to springvale for dumplings at Maxim Saigon
So good!

F@$k I want dumplings now. Shanghai Noodle Dumplings off Little Bourke St. About the only time I'd voluntarily drink a bunch of Tigers & smash a couple of dozen dumplings - they also have some really great pumpkin cakes.

Airgead said:
OK... going from memory here...

500g pork. Something with a bit of fat in it. (also works well with chicken.. use thighs for the fat)
3 or 4 spring onions
As much garlic as you want
A lump of ginger
5 spice powder (teaspoon or two)
Sesame oil
Soy Sauce
Chinese rice wine
Chilli oil (as much as you can take)

Mince the meat finely. Also finely chop the spring onions. Crush the garlic. Grate the ginger. I use the food processor. You want it really quite fine.

Mix everything up in a bowl. Add some soy and chinese rice wine to moisten (about a tablespoon or two of each). Add About a tablespoon of sesame oil and as much chili oil as you like. You want something quite moist but still firm and not sloppy. This is your filling.

Take a packet of gow gee pastries. Place a little ball of the filling in the center of each one. moisten the edge with water and fold. There are all sorts of fancy folds you can do. I usually don't bother.

To cook you can steam or fry. I like to do both at once (chinese lady taught me this technique). Get a frying pan and heat it till its quite hot. Throw in some oil then as many gow gees as will fit easily. Let them fry for a couple of minutes. Don't turn them. You want the underside to go nice and brown. Once they are nicely brown underneath, throw in about half a cup of water then clamp a lid on really quickly. Let them steam like that for another 3-4 minutes. All the water will boil off and you will be left with gow gees that are crispy underneath and all soft on top. Fantastic.

They look like this (not mine... just an image I found on google) -

IMG_5543_small.jpg

Serve with some soy sauce and black vinegar for dipping. I like to chop chillies into the soy for some extra heat.

Cheers
Dave
Here's my crack at these. ******* delicious!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back