Good Yeasts For High Temps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlow_coates

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I was hoping to compile a list of yeasts that produce good brews at relatively high temps.

Lagers I know need to be low, and in australia that requires temp control (most places).

Ales are usually around 16-20 degrees C (or there abouts) and for Brisbane, and many other places, that still requires temp control.

Belgians, all I brewed in summer :p , of course revel (some anyway) in the higher temps.

Now I have very stable temps where I brew in the house, with minimal fluctuations, around mid 20's at the moment, but during summer were only in high 20's still.

My question is, What other types of yeast, other than some of the belgian yeasts, are suitable for the mid 20's, high 20's, and low 30's?

Can I brew a good ale at these temps? Any specialty brews in these categories?

Cheers for any suggestions or past experience.

Marlow

I wouldn't say that there are any yeasts that produce optimal beer (for the strain) at mid-twenties, let alone high-twenties and low-thirties... certainly none that I've seen or used.

It is time to invest in some temperature control for summer!

Apart from the Belgians of course, as you said (my latest, Wyeast 1722, has a recommended range up to 24*C), what about the Coopers Pale Ale yeast - haven't people on here been having success (subject to definition and fondness of banana/cloves) at higher temps?

I guess it depends on your definition of 'good ale'. I doubt you'll find anything neutral up that end of the thermometer.

you like saisons? i remember a few batches using s-04 english ale that turned out ok at 25C.

working around mid-high 20's temperatures wouldn't be my personal preference, not optimal temperature and you're restricted to the more obscure strains/styles.

Yeah saison yeast they say up to 35C. I had one sitting at 30C for quite a while, was pretty tastey too :)

Thought that may be the case :(

Have done a saison, and a couple ardennes from Wyeast that turned out well. But was hoping to expand.

Your right though. I have known that the investment in a temprite for the fridge would be needed.

Cheers guys.

Marlow out.

I've had good results fermenting at room temp at this time of year, by sticking to a few rules:

- stick to lowish OGs, nothing over 1.040
- Use a clean ale yeast to start with, so if it gets a bit fruity its not over the top - us05 or 1056 are perfect.
- Pitch bigger than usual to limit yeast stress at the start of the ferment, and thus limit esters and fusels.

Obviously this limits the styles you can brew quite a bit. There's a good article on www.byo.com in the fearure archives on warm weather brewing, check it out.

Back