Good Customer Service?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
I just got back from the Greensborough HBS. I met Dave who runs it up there and have to say he is a top bloke.
Good for a chat and very willing to answer any questions.
He even gave me a try of an AG brew fom his kegging system. First time I've tried AG and it was beautiful. (now I can see where the AG brewers are coming from).
Problem is there are not many HBS around so I suppose its a bit limiting as where to shop.
He didnt have the Coopers Heritage Sparkling yet so I had to stop at another HBS in the area to pick it up there.
I've been to this place about 5-6 times now and I've just about had enough of the snarly crappy service in there. Its always the same bloke (if by any chance you are reading this , yes your service sucks shit mate) I hope his boss reads this. Ask him a question and you may get a growl out of him if your lucky.
I really want to avoid going there as much as possible and I will. I wont be able holding of telling him what I think of his service if I go there again.

ah screw em
friggin turdheads. if you want repeat service be nice to your customers. Maybe there is a limit to HBS at the moment but the way its going surely a few more will have to open up. I reckon you could open up next door to them and you will take all their customers.
Happy brewing

Sorry to hear about it Johnno. Poor service sucks regardless what it is your buying.
If you don't want to go in there, write them a letter. Address it to the owner/manager and let them know how unhappy you are.

Needless to say, avoid that store. Tell everyone you know about how poor the service is and to avoid the store.

Post them up here Johnno , if it poor service tell the AHB site and we can steer clear of them , or at least comment

Get all your advice here Johnno and use theGreensborough store more often if it is convenient.
Once you find a store with some interest in what your doing and can offer sound advice then stick to it.
That's why I use Grumpy's (shameless plug :ph34r: )

TDA

havent had the misfortune of walking into a bad hbs yet however if i did i would let the bloke know and remind him that my wallet and myself will not be venturing back into said shop.
and i agree with tda.grumpys offer excellent service and that is why i shop with them.and there advice is great.

big d B)

I've never been to a HBS with bad service, although I have often received bad advice. Luckily for me I knew it was bad advice, I shudder to think how many people starting out have taken that advice as gospel because it came from a HBS guy.

I have had many encounters in Brisbane where I have recieved plenty of BAD advice, which for me is bad service as I think HBS's advice is a big part of the service. I can't see how they can think of running a business with so little lack of knowledge in some cases. If not for being in a homebrew club or learning from many different books I would have followed their poor advice, turned out shit beer and not been so keen to do another brew, thereby dropping their business.

When I was living in Brisbane a few years back I lived on the North side and used to travel out to Slacks Creek to see Lindsay at Quality Homebrew as his experience and knowledge far surpassed that of my local HBS. Maybe this was because he was the owner? Maybe because he was an All Grain brewer he had more experience?
This is really one of my bug bears in HB, so when I find something good I stick to it.

Hoops

Had a similar experience the other day Johnno with my LHBS. They obviously didn't want the couple of hundred dollars that was ready to part my wallet. I'm limited to where else I can shop, so mail order will be my new friend. I've found plently of other places that are friendly and helpful.

On bad advice, my local HBS supplies that free. I think they get mighty shirty when I ask them questions that they don't know the answers to (Yes, they are the owners), which may be the root of my problems. I'm trying my hardest to avoid them.

JD

Yep, bad service can really brown you off. Use the Greensborough shop Johnno, he's obviously keen for your business. On the positive side, my local HBS here in Newie has been excellent so far. I've built up a really good customer relationship with the bloke there and now only buy my stuff from him. Support works both ways and I'm happy to help him while he's helping me. If he went bust then Grumpy's and The Country Brewer both seem like excellent online mail order options. Both seem to know their stuff and both are really helpful, even to out of towners like me who aren't necessarily buying. I'm planning a Grumpy's order for a few things I can't get at my store here just 'cause of the help and info they've given me through their forum and website, and will no doubt do the same with the Country Brewer at some stage as well. The good guys are out there, we just need to support them!

Shawn.

Well vote with your dollar as i have seen a certian chain in adelaide who nothing about homebrewing and only after your k=k money i know of three good shops in adelaide and two of them that do mail order Jovial Monk is good and i have ben their often and you all know about grumpys and also brewaker in holden hill is ok

and the worst is that one near enfield were the bloke is a real sour puss so if they dont care then go else were and what them loose buissness and go broke

Jazman said:
Well vote with your dollar as i have seen a certian chain in adelaide who nothing about homebrewing and only after your k=k money i know of three good shops in adelaide and two of them that do mail order Jovial Monk is good and i have ben their often and you all know about grumpys and also brewaker in holden hill is ok

and the worst is that one near enfield were the bloke is a real sour puss so if they dont care then go else were and what them loose buissness and go broke
Jazman said_
"and the worst is that one near enfield were the bloke is a real sour puss so if they dont care then go else were and what them loose buissness and go broke"

Been there twice before Jazman and I agree whole heartedly.

TDA

Advice from my LHBS is quite good, and the bloke there know a fair bit. Only once I've gone in and though it was shitty service, must have been a bad day or something. Other than that, I must say The Country Brewer has helped me heaps, really great customer service.

with all due respect too the enfield hbs guy i feel it may be possible he is like my old man.
no disrespect to k&k guys but he may be a true blue k&k man and is perfectly happy brewing this way and no love nor money can persuade him to try things like hops,powdered/liquid malts etc.
my old man has heard my nagging for years and has only recently moved away from sugar to dextrose.hes tried a few grumpys kits but i think hes not going to stray away from coopers/sugar/dextrose and also his bottom line is cost.
shame really as the homebrew scene has leaped ahead by miles and there is a growing band of homebrewers seeking more and more info.
thankfully we have sites like this where everyone has some good input available at all hours.
ok i will jump off the soapbox now.
time for a beer :chug:

No your spot on there big d , perhaps someone running a HBS should have a bit more info to hand out ,, but the K&K brewers are by far the biggest brewers in Aussie.
Hey if you like it why not , and cost really does count here , time as well , you want a cheap quick brew , that's it !
I did it for years , now it's a different story but I know people up here think I am Battye ??? for the effort I put in.
All a matter of choise

Glad you got up to see Dave at Greensborough Johnno. I go there because he takes the time to talk & seems to do as much as he can to make a real go of it. Like you, I used to go to the other place ( I assume you mean the one in Heidelberg) & got sick of the couldn't give a stuff attitude too. I don't go there any more even though it's only 5 minutes from home. Cellar Plus in Peel St Nth Melbourne is worth a try as well. They are more into wine making than beer but still have a reasonable range & they are helpfull & prepared to take the time to talk to you.

Asking for advice on brewing techniques, equipment and ingredients is much like asking for someone to recommend a restaurant. You can ask 5 different people and get 5 different answers. Even if you find a local HB guy with great customer service he is still only going to offer you an opinion, 1 opinion. Thats why Ive found AHB to be so useful.

Certainly ask your supplier his opinion, but dont take it as gospel. The more opinions you get, the better position you put yourself in to make you own decisions.

Its all good and well getting someones opinion. But when it seems a major hassle just to get their head out of the paper and the answer is dont care coz i dont drink it or something like that it makes you wonder what the heck they are doing working there.

cheers

I live in Greensborough and find Dave at G'borough HBS an absolute crusader for an amateur homebrewer like myself. He went out off his way for me, and it was my 1st visit to his shop. :D

I know which HBS you are talking about too Johnno :angry: , that gave you the crap customer service, and I'll only go back there if the G'borough HBS doesnt have what I need.

For brewing advice I use this board :) .

I see you point Johnno. I think some poeple were just born rude pricks.

I am not surprised this topic didn't come up sooner. I have been into heaps of different hobbies over the years, and each supplier was always trying to motivate/teach so you would move up in the field... not only resulting in more enjoyment, but also in the purchase of more expensive/sophisticated equipment.

I've NOT been into one HBS that has encouraged me to brew better or bigger. When i first asked about racking and bulk priming i was advised against it, as it was unnecessary (and i was about to buy a second fermenter and bottling bucket). I was quite amazed, and disheartened. This guy was telling me he has been brewing for 15 years, and still adds a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle!! That would shit me to tears, and that's when i came across you guys at AHB!! THANK GOODNESS!!!

I will take Johno's tip and check out the greensborough guy.

I've also hit a brick wall in securing AG equipment. I don't have the time to source and make all the equipment, especially counter flow wort chillers, etc, and the HBS carry very little in this range. Does anyone know of a HBS that sells some fancy AG setup??

Back