Good Brew Shop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
G'day all, went to grape and grian in melbourne thisarvo. First time ive tried any brew shops in melb. I spoke to them last week on the phone about some ideas and they were very helpfull and the bloke sounded like a decent man. Today was totally different, the fella there was quite rude and didnt really give a shit. Just wanted some advice on a nice lager. Very dissapointing and his attitude would turn alot of people away. Anyone else had any probs there?. I wont be going back again. Is there any other brew shops i could try in the west suburbs?, im in altona north. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Greg

Today was totally different, the fella there was quite rude and didnt really give a shit.
Could it possibly be you? Nah, you've obviously already discounted that idea.

G&G is pretty broadly considered one of the best HB shops in Melbourne. Give them another shot. It's a good shop.

Besides John and Chris, I have always found the staff to be not so courteous and in a hurry. Lifes a rush so hurry up..........

Only ever deal woth them over phone and net. Never a problem.

Making a judgement from one encounter is not really the best thing to do IMO.

It would be a very very busy business to run. Maybe the bloke was on his own? and he had shitload of orders to get through?

John and i didnt get off to a good start when i moved down from Canberra,i rocked in and the first thing i asked for was some White Labs yeast.He kind of looked at me as if i was taking the piss....was to later find out that he was the wyeast man(insert dickhead remarks here).
That was over 11 years ago and G+G is the only shop that i need or want to go to in Melbourne.Was Monday(op)and people sometimes have a shit start to the week.grow a bit of hide or you are going to spend a lot on postage or petrol.

Happy to call the staff i know there brewing friends.

....the fella there was quite rude and didnt really give a shit. Just wanted some advice on a nice lager. Very dissapointing and his attitude would turn alot of people away. Anyone else had any probs there?. I wont be going back again. Is there any other brew shops i could try in the west suburbs?, im in altona north. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Greg

+1

I have also found them rude. They are obviously well stocked and experienced at brewing but customer service is pretty low I have found.

I no longer buy from them and now order online from craftbrewer. In total contrast to grain and grape they go out of their way to help. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Hmmm, i found one of the guys there to be rude. He mis pronounced iodopher but if i corrected him he may had bottled me :p

I wouldn't judge the whole place by one staff member, possibly having a bad day. There prices on grain sacks are good, something to tie you over between bulk buys.

I have to say that hearing this type of stuff saddens me....
I have beena customer for about 3 years now and i know all the staff quite well....
I too , intially was a bit scared to ask questions and put off my a staff member....i definitely thought that some of the staff were unapproachable...the main one left ...so he's no longer the problem for me...
Still , it has obviously left a very bad tatse in your mouth...which is a real shame ....
I'm not wanting to stand up for the guys , beacuse i respect what your experience was...i just know that for a long time now , mine has been really , really positive.... and i love the shop....
Maybe send John Preston an email with your concerns ?
Cheers
Ferg

G'day all, went to grape and grian in melbourne thisarvo. First time ive tried any brew shops in melb. I spoke to them last week on the phone about some ideas and they were very helpfull and the bloke sounded like a decent man. Today was totally different, the fella there was quite rude and didnt really give a shit. Just wanted some advice on a nice lager. Very dissapointing and his attitude would turn alot of people away. Anyone else had any probs there?. I wont be going back again. Is there any other brew shops i could try in the west suburbs?, im in altona north. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Greg

I would probably have attempted to contact the shop owner and talk to him about it, before airing this on a public forum.

I'm all for dodgy businesses being named and shamed, but it appears as though you haven't attempted to find a peaceful resolution before posting.

Goomba

I Have never been into the shop but whenever I order online or over the phone all the staff at G&G have been a pleasure to deal with. On the few occasions when they have been out of stock on a item I ordered, their advice on an alternative item was very polite and helpful.

I would definitely give G&G another chance, we all have a bad day now and again.

I Have never been into the shop but whenever I order online or over the phone all the staff at G&G have been a pleasure to deal with. On the few occasions when they have been out of stock on a item I ordered, their advice on an alternative item was very polite and helpful.

I would definitely give G&G another chance, we all have a bad day now and again.

OT but I love your avatar.

never had any issues with staff i have dealt with..there's sunbury brewing..
http://pint.com.au/links/homebrewshops/victoria/

Nice guy there (Pete @ Sunbury) and very helpful if you're K&K. Just don't expect any advice with moving to AG brewing. He is anti AG, from what I can gather he thinks it's a waste of time. Said he tried it once and never again.

Also be careful about ordering stuff from there. The other day I wanted a Wyeast (which he doesn't stock) so ordered it and it cost me $30. Double the price of G&G but he had to specially ship it. I'm not saying it was a rip off as he had to arrange to get it delivered it was just more expensive than I was expecting.

My comments with regard to G&G, I've found they are all really nice except for one staff member whose name escapes me. It's the older guy on the bottom right of the picture on their homepage. I've found him to be consistently unhelpful, bordering on rude. All the other guys are brilliant in my experience.

I have no problems with people sharing experiences either positive or negative on forums such as this without going to the owner first. I for one appreciate hearing these comments. If someone is on a crusade and going over the top, different story. You'll see plenty of positive feedback here about G&G as well.

i have found almost every one there to be really good, except paul i think it is. i have never met a more humourless person in my life. i always look for any one else in the store and try my hardest to avoid the bloke.

My comments with regard to G&G, I've found they are all really nice except for one staff member whose name escapes me. It's the older guy on the bottom right of the picture on their homepage. I've found him to be consistently unhelpful, bordering on rude. All the other guys are brilliant in my experience.
It is unfortunate that you have chosen this forum to out the bloke...
I happen to know this gentleman and whilst he can sometimes come across as being rude , he is without a shadow of a doubt , a very ,very knowlegeable and experienced brewer...and actually a genuine and honest guy...
Anyway.....
As was stated before....this is my experience and i'm not dumbing down yours....
Ferg

Cheers Greg
I've dealt with G+G since they were SHB,over 20 years and never had any issues at all..Sad to hear you had a bad experience,maybe contact John and politely express your concerns.Saturday morning though, is definitely a rush,rush time for them. :icon_cheers:

beacuse i respect what your experience was
Be nice if some of the other tossers people here showed the same respect. I've ordered a couple of times over the phone. I don't recall it being anything out of the ordinary. Still, I have some regard for other peoples's opinions.

Have used G and G plenty of times. If served by John and most of the others, never had any problems. Always found John helpful and courteous. But Riggers can be rude and very bad mannered. I always hope its his day off if I go there. As someone else said, I find Craftbrewer easier to deal with so most times I use them and have it posted down. Also, CB prices are nearly always better. It doesn't matter how good a brewer Riggers is, his lack of manners is something I'd rather not deal with.

Back