Good Beer In Sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamis

Reaction score
I,m a New Zealander and I,ll be in sydney for a week soon, just wondering where the best beer establishments are for craftbeer and good food in Sydney. I already have the Taphouse in Darlinghurst penciled in and the one they call the oldest pub in sydney- Lord Nelson? just looking for some areas to visit with some character and characters. cheers

The Rocks district is a great hub for pubs and beer.

Try the Australian hotel, good beer, great pizza. The Lord Nelson is also nearby, Fortune of War is the one that claims to be the oldest pub, haven't been there since the days when you could sit at the bar and smoke, so can't really comment on that one.

Down in Darling Harbour you have the pumphouse and also the James Squires brew pub.

The World Square Pub (in World Square of all places) down on George Street has a surprisingly good range of reasonably interesting beers.

Here's a link and there's a "Beer & Bar" tab for an idea of what there is:

http://www.worldsquarepub.com.au/

It's odd that not one of them has actually ever proved it...

The 'Hero Of Waterloo' is the oldest pub but was running illegally. They used to smuggle the alcohol in through a tunnel from down at the docks. So I was once told by someone.

The lord nelson is the oldest continually licenced pub.

Redoak on Clarence st + all of the suggestions in this thread.
I was at the Redoak cafe last week, fairly expensive but it beats drinking VB :) Between $5 & $7 for a 250ml glass for most of the range, I enjoyed the Belgian Ale but wasn't overly impressed with the Oktoberfest they'd just put on tap.

Forgot to mention:
If you do a harbour trip (and anyone visiting Sydney should!) catch a ferry to Manly, right opposite the warf is the 4 Pines microbrewery.
They usually have 4 beers on tap, go for the Koelsch! The beer is $9.00 for 1/2 a litre, so not cheap, but worth it.
Food is reasonably priced at $15 to $25.
So you pay a little bit more for the beer, but hey, it's worth it. Only been there once, but enjoyed it! 4pines.jpg
c1b

Been meaning to go myself, but here's another option for a fellow kiwi.

Macquarie Hotel

42 Wentworth Ave,
Surry Hills, NSW 2010

Also..

Lwenbru Keller Argyle St & Playfair St, The Rocks NSW.

Big Schnitzel.. beer OK... Tubas.. Awesome

[post="0"]

The Woolpack in Parramatta also claims too be one of oz's oldest licenced pub.[/post].

The World Square Pub (in World Square of all places) down on George Street has a surprisingly good range of reasonably interesting beers.

Here's a link and there's a "Beer & Bar" tab for an idea of what there is:

http://www.worldsquarepub.com.au/
Sadly it's only a shadow of it's former self as Equilibrium Bar, but a handy location.
You could do a monorail pub crawl and do this as one of your stops!

Theres the James Squire brewhouse on the harbour if you're keen, plus I really didn't mind the Dunkirk - another pub with history, plus a very nice Heffweizen. Frankiskaner or similar, no doubt spelt and pronounced differently.

There is a place I visited a while back that had the best fish I've tasted, its on the same road as the Dunkirk and has only been open for 6 months or so. Blokes who ran it seemed like good guys, and were interested in our feedback on the place. I'll see if I can't find where it is and what its called for you.

Cheers - boingk

Thx guys for all the info and links. I knew there would be plenty on offer considering sydney has the population of my whole country! I will be with the misses so could be a battle getting our priorities right! :D

Latest posts

Back