Golden Saaz Pilsner + 1.5 Kilo Of Wheat Malt - Tried Before?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottKemp

Reaction score
Golden Saaz Pilsner + 1.5 Kilo of wheat malt

I was thinking of trying this combination as I had the Saaz, and my recent beers have not beer holding a head very well, so I thought I would try the wheat malt (liquid) as I read that it will improve the head. But I am not sure about the wheat malt with the Saaz has anyone tried this?? :p

I will also be steeping this with 150 grams of crystal grain, should I only use half the wheat malt and just substitue DME in for the rest? Any ideas?

Wow that is a lot of question in one post :D and Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

I've brewed Morgans Golden Saaz Pils with just Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and always found it to have sensational body and head.....

Are your glasses/bottles clean? Does this prob occur with all your beers?

And for the above combo no idea how it would turn out.

I've brewed Morgans Golden Saaz Pils with just Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and always found it to have sensational body and head.....

Thanks for the reply 'DrewCarey82'

Yeap, all the glasses are clean even the one I borrowed from the local pub, just to test the difference. I really think the problem lies with the brewing temp - at least 25 degrees, usually 26 to 28, but until I get another fridge or a 100 can cooler thant won't change, as my garage gets the morning sun and then is hot for the day.

and yes I have tried the wrap in towel, put in water and many other things, but it just gets to hot and I am at work for 12+ hours monday to friday (with travel) so changing the ice blocks isn't possible.

Looks like I'll put it down and see what happens :lol: worst case I'll get my brother over to drink it!

I made a beer from a Coopers pale can, 1kg liquid wheat malt and a tea bag of saaz hops.

Was good but needed either a bit of dextrose of more hops to balance it out as it was a bit too malty for my liking

I'm fermenting the same at the moment but i added around 30g of 3% halletau fresh hops @ 45mins and its tasting beautiful just form samples out of primary.. If you do a small boil with some fresh hops with your malt you brew will come out alot fresher.

ps keep your temps down

Just remember to dry hop in the secondary - 30gms of SAAZ works wonders..

Ken...

The amount of wheat malt at those sort of temps will produce a very estery, phenolic kinda tasting beer I would imagine. You're starting with a light kit and adding wheat malt which doesn't have a lot of colour, and then adding the crystal which will add colour, though not huge amounts.
I think it'll turn out being a fairly pale coloured beer with the crystal and wheat malt adding a fair bit of body. Don't think head retention will be an issue anymore either.
I'd go with GMK's suggestion on the dry hopping if you're after that hop aroma/flavour in the finished product as well.

Should be interesting, would be good to see photo's of a glass full once it's done.

Morgans Golden Saaz Pils has the best head retention of any homebrew product I have ever seen. I brewed and bottled some last week as a special occasion beer (because its a pretty expensive tin of extract = $16). I tried one today which has only been in the bottle for 4 days and the head was very stable and lasted down to the bottom of the glass; clarity wasn't bad either.

To this Morgans 1.7kg can I added 400g of dried DME, 370g of dried LME and around 230g of dextrose (which is not something I usually use). Used the kit yeast and primary fermemtation had finished in 3 days at around 22-24C. Primed bottles with a 1/2 cup dex and 1/2 LME boiled in 1 cup of water. This beer isn't even conditioned yet and its already pretty drinkable. But it's the head retention properties that have really impressed me.

Back