Golden Blondy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suorama

Reaction score
What is your opinion. I know, most of you are not used and cannot use ingredients like I. But I include descriptions of my grains if that could help any.

Well simple recipe shows like that.
Batch size 52 litr, efficiency 80%, Boil 90min

8,000 kg Pale Ale (2-row) 6ebc from Viking Malt (Finland)
0,300 kg Cara Pale 10ebc from Viking Malt

60g Brewers Gold 9,10% Boil 45 min
Whirlfloc Tablet 15 min
Servomyces Yeast nutrient 10 min
40g Brewers Gold 9,10% 7 min

Windsor Yeast

Mash In 66C 75 min (40 ltr 70C water)
Mash Out 76C 20 min (20 ltr 98C water)

Sparge at 20 ltr (76C water)

Strategic measures should be:
OG 1.039
FG 1.008
Bitterness 30 IBU
Color 8 EBC
Alco 4%

Is there something that strikes directly into the eye?

Pale Ale Malt

Pale Ale Malt is made from 2-row spring barley. High degree of modification promotes easy processability. Malt flavour contributes specially to sweet and nutty notes. Ideal malt for ales and special lagers. The colouring power of Pale Ale Malt is not too strong, which makes it also suitable for subtle colour correction of regular lagers.

TYPICAL ANALYSIS

Moisture % max 4.5
Protein % dm 9 - 11.7
Extract fine % dm min 80.0
Colour EBC 4 – 6
Kolbach index % min. 44
Friability % min. 85

Cara Pale Malt

MALT CHARACTER

Cara Pale is produced from green malt in a roasting drum. Despite the low colour value, Cara Pale is a true caramel malt, i.e. the starch has been gelatinised and saccharified within the kernel. Cara Pale is sweet and caramel-like. The enzymatic activity of Cara Pale is negligible.

APPLICATIONS

Cara Pale is used to produce a full-bodied beer with a clean, round flavour. Due to its low colour value it is suitable also for light coloured beers.

BREWING CHARACTERISTICS

moisture % max 7.5
extract fine % dm min 77.0
colour EBC 6 - 10

edit:

Here you can find Viking Malt products.
Viking Malt

What is your opinion. I know, most of you are not used and cannot use ingredients like I. But I include descriptions of my grains if that could help any.

Well simple recipe shows like that.
Batch size 52 litr, efficiency 80%, Boil 90min

8,000 kg Pale Ale (2-row) 6ebc from Viking Malt (Finland)
0,300 kg Cara Pale 10ebc from Viking Malt

60g Brewers Gold 9,10% Boil 45 min
Whirlfloc Tablet 15 min
Servomyces Yeast nutrient 10 min
40g Brewers Gold 9,10% 7 min

Windsor Yeast

Mash In 66C 75 min (40 ltr 70C water)
Mash Out 76C 20 min (20 ltr 98C water)

Sparge at 20 ltr (76C water)

Strategic measures should be:
OG 1.039
FG 1.008
Bitterness 30 IBU
Color 8 EBC
Alco 4%

Is there something that strikes directly into the eye?

Can you get wheat malt? If so, I'd put about 5% in there for a Golden Ale. Take it out of the 8kg Pale if you want to keep the alc % down for a session beer.
Regards,
mckenry
p.s. how bout you post in Whats in the Glass (in Finland) once in a while :beer:

I have limited experience with Windsor yeast but I think an FG of 1.008 might be optimisitic...although there are others here who get it to attenuate much better than I do.

Can you get wheat malt? If so, I'd put about 5% in there for a Golden Ale. Take it out of the 8kg Pale if you want to keep the alc % down for a session beer.
Regards,
mckenry

Yes I have a wheat malt. In fact I have lots of malt from Vinking's and rest from others.
(I have Pilsener and bio pilsener, Pale ale, Melanoid, Dark ale, Munich, Vienna, Cara Pala, Crystall 100 & 200 and Wheat malt from Viking malt.
I haven't Bayer, Crystal 150, 250 & 300, Cara Plus malts, Roasted malts and Black from them.
But I have Roasted, Black, Cara Pils, Special B, Chocolate and few others from other places)

Maybe I do few batches and test that wheat too. Some reason Crouch Vale Brewers Gold taste just now good to me and if we believe descriptions and infos about that ale, then there are only pale malt and Brewers Gold hops. I dont know the yeast but first test might be Windsor.
When I first time use Windsor I got reasonable ~72% apparent attenuation. That was OG 1.048 and ferment 1.013 - 14. So 1.008 could be too optimistic but we see that if I make beer with it.

p.s. how bout you post in Whats in the Glass (in Finland) once in a while
beer.gif
I'm not sure what you mean? Do you want that I send one Arctic Circle Ale to you? =)

Just received some viking malt from a relative who visited, might test it this weekend - pitty i can't read the packet.

Would love to make some Finish christmas ale, Not 100% sure of the process but it involves pouring 100L of wort through a hay / pine needle (aka christmas tree) tray into the boiler.

However since no hops are used you have to drink it all within 3 weeks.

Apparently it goes well with roasted rain deer....

381080_335797633113437_100000496101237_1380435_1463312268_n.jpg

381080_335797636446770_100000496101237_1380436_1734387951_n.jpg

Well, roughly process goes like this:

40-50 litraa vett
Amount of Water, 40 - 50 liter

1 kilo kotikalja mallasta (ruis)
I don't know what is kotikalja in english but that is crystal rye malt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malzbier)

1 kilo mmmimallasta
I don't know what is mmmi in english but you can found something from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4mmi

20 kiloa ohramaltaita (sahti)
Barley malt (sahti blend is recommended but pale ale woud be also fine. Maybe some crystal with it)

(kourallinen suomalaista humalaa)
(Handfull of finnish wild hops)

lusikallinen katajanmarjoja
Spoonfull juniper berrys

Sekoita aineet ja nosta lmptila ensi 55 asteeseen ja annetaan olla puoli tuntia
Mix all together and heat up to 55C. Rest half hour.

nosta 65 asteen lmptilaan ja pidetn tunti
Heat uo to 65C and keep an hour.

nosta lmptila max 84 asteeseen
Heat up to max 84C

mski on valmis kuurnattavaksi , voit kytt siivilinniss katajan oksia,ja juoksuta vierrett 40 litraa lis tarvittaessa (kiehuvaa) vett
Mash is ready to lautern. You can use juniper twigs. Take 40 litre, add boiling water if you need.

valmista kyte lismll yksi pussi kuivahiivaa pariin litraan lmmint vierrett
Prepare starter with adding one sachet suomi backers yeast to couple liters of hand warm wort.

jhdyt vierre ja lis siihen kyte
Chill wort and add starter

anna kyd huoneenlmmss vuorokausi
Leave it to one day at room temperature.

siirr sahti noin 4-7 asteiseen jkaappiin ja anna kyd nelj viikkoa
Move sahto to 4 - 7C and let it ferment about four week.

ja ei kun juomaan
and let's drink.

:chug:

Latest posts

Back