Going to Munich

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sav

Brewing at the battered's shed
Reaction score
Going to Munich on the 2nd to the 4th off October then to Spain who's going and where should we go. We are doing the paulaner brewery tour that I hope is in English.
I need my beer fix in 3 days. Any help appreciated. Bars kolsh hellis all the fresh stuff.
Sav

I went for Oktoberfest in 2010. People roughly 40 years old and younger generally speak English. That said, you get better service if you learn a little German. I think the grounds open at about 9 or 10 am. By 2 pm it's pretty tough to find a spot to sit down inside at any of the "tents". As far as the pubs in Munich go, at Oktoberfest anyway, it was impossible to find a seat in the evening.

After spending a few days in Munich we proceeded to Dusseldorf and Cologne before heading to Brussels and Amsterdam. Post with pictures here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/48698-back-from-deutschland/

So the trip to Europe just got exciting. The wife surprised me. Me a mate are going from munich to cologne for 2days then dusseldorf for 2days also, then meeting her in Barcelona. 6days off talking beer with a mate can't wait.
Please lt me know on the much needed breweries I need to go too.

New guy your trip has got me so keen for some alts and kolsh minus the sickness mate.
Sav

Things just got awesome for you!
sav said:
The wife surprised me. Me a mate are going from munich to cologne for 2days then dusseldorf for 2days also, then meeting her in Barcelona.

I just got back from Europe in July.
I spent several days in Düsseldorf.
Best advice is to get yourself to the Altstadt, and just walk around. There are brewpubs all over the place. One street is known as "the longest bar in the world", with brewpubs wall to wall. All of them will serve a good Alt, but my favourites were Schumacher and Schlüssel.

Gents, have a great trip. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

Slightly OT...just noticed Warra's avatar, very fitting that I am right now watching old episode of Hogan's Heroes called 'Drums Along The Dusseldorf'.

Hads to mention this, too much 'coming togethers' to let it go.

If in Köln and looking for the best Kölsch, head to Shackenskammer. It's only a few minutes wall from the Cathedral but absolutely worth it. Had a beerpiphany there.

In my opinion, München's best brewery is Augustiner. I had a magical afternoon there. Again, I little out of the way but worth it.

At both these places I had the two best beers of my entire European trip - the Shackenskammer Kölsch and the Augustiner Boh Pils. Magical.

Thanks for the heads up Booker, heading to Cologne for one night tomorrow and will check it the Kolsch out.

Cheers

booker_h said:
If in Köln and looking for the best Kölsch, head to Shackenskammer. It's only a few minutes wall from the Cathedral but absolutely worth it. Had a beerpiphany there.
In my opinion, München's best brewery is Augustiner. I had a magical afternoon there. Again, I little out of the way but worth it.
At both these places I had the two best beers of my entire European trip - the Shackenskammer Kölsch and the Augustiner Boh Pils. Magical.
Yeah, I second the Augustiner. The bier hall is just off the Marienplatz.

Paulaner was just ok. The food was great (Vienna schnitzel) and their wheat beer is amazing, but they only had 4 beers on tap. Overall it was pretty disappointing. But... Around that time of year they might put some more on so you might be in luck.

Try and get to Ayinger too.

And if you have half a day, get to the Andechs monastery. Take the train to Herrsching (40min)and then you walk through town up to the top of the hill. Amazing dunkel and without doubt the best pork knuckle (wood-fired) and strudel you will taste.

No tips for Dusseldorf sorry...

There's actually a book: The Beer Drinkers Guide to Munich - http://www.amazon.com/The-Beer-Drinkers-Guide-Munich/dp/0962855537
Order it now so you can peruse it on the flight over.

The trip out to Aying for the brewery (and restaurant) is a nice afternoon out. But the brewery tour is only conducted in German. Although the brewmaster did translate some of what he said. I understood a little of the rest, and I don't think you miss a whole lot since you'll know what's going on already. Everything is purpose-labelled like the bat-cave anyway.

There's a brewery walking tour, which I've done twice, it's pretty good to excellent, but it depends on the people who turn up a bit too.
You meet under the clock-tower, it's in English - http://www.munichwalktours.de/

The daytrip out to Kloster Andechs for the pork knuckle and doppelbock-dunkel (see profile picture) is well worth it.
Catch the train out, then walk up the hill to the monastery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input.
Sav

Latest posts

Back