Go for the Plonk!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a wine connoisseur by any stretch, but I know what I like, and I think I can tell the difference between a >$25 bottle a sub $10. That isnt to say that I havent had expensive wines that havent been that great, I have, but I find it's far less hit & miss when you get into that price territory. Normally if I'm in a bottleshop I'll go for $15 - 20 and from a region that I know is famous for that variety. ie: Shiraz from Barossa or McLaren Vale, Sav Blanc or Semillon from Margaret river etc. I also usually for go the lesser known smaller vineyards than the multinational owned, only because like craft beer I like supporting the little guys and they often produce a better product. You need to do a bit of research to find who owns what.

Buying from the cellar door is a different story again, as you try before you buy so when they're offering a >$50 bottle i'll want to be in love with it before opening my wallet.

That said; My not-so-little secret is Backvintage. Limited range, mostly at $13 a bottle, or up to $25 for a vintage and I've not had a bad wine since I started ordering from them. Some of them have been sensational. No affiliation just a very happy customer.

Latest posts

Back