Gluten free recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recon the stockfeed places would be good enough to eat/roast/brew? What's involved in the word "foodgrade"?

Whats the go with GF yeast? I saw on a few of those links that some are using US-05.
Is yeast GF or not? If so, why is there a wyeast 1272GF yeast?

mckenry said:
Whats the go with GF yeast? I saw on a few of those links that some are using US-05.
Is yeast GF or not? If so, why is there a wyeast 1272GF yeast?
I know the whole fermentis dry range is gluten free... I'll be using US05, unfortunately will need to be using a new pack opposed to washing due to my last lot being 100% glutenous.

Also going to have to go extra hardcore on the cleaning of the FV to make sure there's no glutagenous rubbish left behind.

Dry yeasts are GF, the liquid yeasts (both Wy & WLP) are raised on a malt-based substrate making them not GF.
but can be I believe wlp has a gf range

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toncils said:
Recon the stockfeed places would be good enough to eat/roast/brew? What's involved in the word "foodgrade"?
Plenty of blokes use cracked corn chicken feed for making corn whiskey, as long as it doesn't have any additives, it should be food grade (animals are eating it after all)

So if we make a gluten free beer do we need to use fermenters etc that have not been used for normal brewing?

Ducatiboy stu said:
That is generally recomended
I wholeheartedly agree, one fermenting vessel for GF products and one for "normal" beers, I would never ferment in the same tub I use for normal fermenting. The risk is too high. I have two people in my family are Coeliacs my wife and my 23 year old, both love a cold beer on a hot day and i brew for them about every 2 months.

Why every two months you may ask......well I have to dismantle and clean every part of my brewery before hand usually under the supervision of the wife. Whilst I now have a Braumiester and cleaning is much easier with PBW etc than it used to be with my old system, its still a task. The wife suffers quite badly from any form of gluten exposure and hence the separate fermenting vessel and cleaning. New fermenting vessels are quite cheap from Bunnings.

I use Briess Sorghum liquid malt as the base the for the beers and then add other products such as rice, flaked rice, quinoa and candi sugars (dark and light) to give extra colour and flavours to the beer. Their favourite are APA's (although I am mucking around with a GF sour beer a Framboise which has lots of potential).

I always boil for at least 60 and perhaps 90 minutes with lots of late addition hops.

doon said:
So if we make a gluten free beer do we need to use fermenters etc that have not been used for normal brewing?
Because most fermenters are more or less a bucket with a tap, there aren't many places for traces of gluten to hide.

Celiacs don't use a different set of cutlery or dishes for cooking and serving because it's all non porous and there aren't any hard to clean spaces.

The tap thread is probably the biggest threat but I never ever let my fermenter dry before being cleaned and will hit the thread with a brush on a drill.

So the gluten free beer has been in the fermenter for 8 days and it's stuck at about 1.018 2 days in a row.
There's no airlock activity (yeah yeah, it's in a cube so I know it's 100% sealed)
It was very well oxygenated before pitching.

Supposedly you substitute LME 1:1 for sorghum extract, so I'm in strong doubt that it's finished.

I used a 1.5L thing of sorghum syrup and 100g of dex.
Final volume 12L
OG 1.042
FG (expected) 1.008
Current SG 1.018
Using a fresh packet of US05 @ 18 degrees

Any ideas?

EDIT!
I ended up doing this in a small jerry cube, I gave it a gentle pivot left to right to stir it up a little... Might get things going......

Not For Horses said:
Just finished the mash on a gluten free trial beer.
53% Sorghum pale ale malt
40% green Sorghum malt
7% Golden Syrup
Measured the pre boil gravity as 1.030
Using Ella hops at 30 and 10 for about 25 IBU.
Golden Syrup at 5 minutes.
Just bottled this one. Definitely not my fav based on the sample I had.
It's a wee bit tart. Well it's quite tart actually. Essex on a Saturday night is less tart than this.
It has potential though. Perhaps when it's carbed and cold it will be much better.

I bottled mine last night, have to agree... Mine's a little tart, but I just used extract, I don't own a mill and don't want to run the gauntlet of using someone elses.

I had a hell of a time getting this to ferment out, I started at 1.042 and finished at 1.010, my predicted FG was 1.008-1.010.
After 9-10 days it was stuck on 1.018 for 3 days so I threw in some DAP which gave it a real boost, started fermenting again within an hour...

But after a few days, 2 days in a row of 1.010.

I added a spoonfull of bread yeast to the boil as I don't use yeast nutrient and this was the closest I could think of on the day.
Went from 1035 to 1002. Probably took about a week to 10 days to finish.

Not For Horses said:
I added a spoonfull of bread yeast to the boil as I don't use yeast nutrient and this was the closest I could think of on the day.
Went from 1035 to 1002. Probably took about a week to 10 days to finish.
I didn't use bread yeast because the ones I had contained traces of wheat = gluten flavoured

Question for those that brew GF beers with varying degrees of success:

If I am going to do an extract (Briess sorghum syrup and probably some dark candy syrup) and I want what I generally perceive in my AG brewery/setup as about 35 IBUs, do I need to adjust that level for the taste/fermentability of the GF adjuncts?

As a general rule, are IBU levels and hop utilisation essentially comparable across AG 'regular brewing to GF brewing (both in extract and grain form)?

Thank you in advance.

Not For Horses said:
Just bottled this one. Definitely not my fav based on the sample I had.
It's a wee bit tart. Well it's quite tart actually. Essex on a Saturday night is less tart than this.
It has potential though. Perhaps when it's carbed and cold it will be much better.
Had another bottle of this yesterday with another brewer and we were pleasantly surprised.
On account of not reading the packet, I used wb06 in this one. It has some very nice wheat beer qualities.
It's much less tart than when it was uncarbed. It has a hint of Berliner Weisse about it on a very toned down scale.
My mate said that any GF person would be stoked to drink it.
I think I'd even brew it again just for me.

Mine was a hit over christmas too, won't hesitate to brew with sorghum again.

Lecterfan said:
Question for those that brew GF beers with varying degrees of success:

If I am going to do an extract (Briess sorghum syrup and probably some dark candy syrup) and I want what I generally perceive in my AG brewery/setup as about 35 IBUs, do I need to adjust that level for the taste/fermentability of the GF adjuncts?

As a general rule, are IBU levels and hop utilisation essentially comparable across AG 'regular brewing to GF brewing (both in extract and grain form)?

Thank you in advance.
So can either of you guys elaborate or address the above question?

Cheers...

Back