Gluten Free Beer Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The current edition of BYO has an article on gluten-free beers. There appears to be some information regarding the entire process. I've only skimmed it tho.

www.byo.com appears to have the article on-line.

maltedhopalong,

The standard ELISA gluten test is looking for wheat gluten not barley gluten, and it also struggles with the broken down protein peptides. Wheat beers test high for gluten and but barley beers test lower due to this fact, but still above the gluten free and/or low gluten limits.

The other thing to remember is that just because your mum doesn't feel sick, doesn't mean she isn't doing damage to the small intestine. I could possibly drink one or two normal beers without getting symptoms but would not want to take the risk of long term irreversible damage, particularly if it was a regular thing.

Cheers, Andrew.

Beer, however, DOESN'T AFFECT HER AT ALL. Further research indicates that this is becausue the traces of gluten in the final beer product are absolutely tiny.

Get ur mate to try a normal, commercial beer, he'll be able to tell if there's enough gluten in there to affect him, don't be afraid of it. Dunno about homebrew, I wouldn't be so confident, but if he just tries one homebrew, the worst that could happen is he'd get a bit of a sore tummy and stuff. Tell ur mate to give it a shot, the gluten in beer is VERY minute.

I was hoping to have some millet malt for HBer's out already but with work commitments, moving house, and getting ready to establish a commercial GF brewery and maltings it just has not happened yet. But stay tuned. ;)
Andrew, any news on this yet, and will you be malting sorghum too?

Just FYI - I actually saw some packs of malted sorghum at TWOC about two weeks ago - it would be nice to see a few different sorts of malted non-barley around, i believe a combination of a few different grains would probably make gluten free beers taste better ..ive tried just single malted sorghum stuff and it was terrible ...

i believe a combination of a few different grains would probably make gluten free beers taste better ..ive tried just single malted sorghum stuff and it was terrible ...
I agree. While I'm no gluten free brewing expert (yet :p ) from my commercial tasting experience the beer which I have found to be the best tasting (SillyYak Aztec Gold) is not just all sorghum. From memory I think the ingredients list it as having some amaranth in it too, but don't know if it's malted or puffed. But then again, it could be the brewing process which makes it preferable for me. It doesn't have as much of that sourness that others have.

Back