Glass Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo9

Reaction score
Hi

I've been bottling with both PET and glass bottles. The stubbies I can get my hands on are Coopers (from my own consumption!) Carlton draught & Cascade Light (from work). I just realised today that they all say not for refill on them at the bottom - presumably as they are quite light. I've been bottling with a hand capper and now use a bench capper with no problems - they all seal well and twist off easily enough.

Should I be worried that they're not designed for refill?

Jim

Hi

I've been bottling with both PET and glass bottles. The stubbies I can get my hands on are Coopers (from my own consumption!) Carlton draught & Cascade Light (from work). I just realised today that they all say not for refill on them at the bottom - presumably as they are quite light. I've been bottling with a hand capper and now use a bench capper with no problems - they all seal well and twist off easily enough.

Should I be worried that they're not designed for refill?

JIm
i think that is half to cover their ass legally in case somebody managed to kill themself from refilling/recapping them. most of those pop-top water bottles have do not refill somewhere on the label also, as somebody at one point in time, didnt clean it properly and there was an infection and they got sick. I think its just a legal thing. Same as the "caution, contents hot" on coffee cups.

Lobby

EDIT: If you are worried about the thickness of the glass, most HBS sell old crown seal tallies for relatively cheaply...

the only ones ill avoid again is the crown stubbies they are way too thin.

the only ones ill avoid again is the crown stubbies they are way too thin.

I use crown stubbies and haven't had a problem yet, have no idea how they've been treated either as I got them second or third hand.
But they are the crown seal version, where they thicker?

As said above they say that for legal reasons etc, I have a stack of 650mL bottles which state owned by the brewery and not to be used by anyone else.

i might of had the newer ones they shattered as soon as you put a bit of carbonation in them

I've had no problems bottling in coopers or any other screw top stubbies (although I've progressively got rid of the screw tops as I collected more of the non-screw ones).

They nearly all say "no refill", but where do you think most home brewers get their bottles?
All mine are fine, I've never had a bottle bomb, and I've got about 120 "no refill" bottles and have bottled in them about 8 times over the last year.
edit: Also, most of them are 6 years old and had been used before that.

Have used heineken bottles (yeah, I know they're green, don't even say it. thats why god invented dark cupboards. :p ) and have not had any problems.

+1

So what if i cant store my bottles in a solarium?

One of my mates gave me a few of the strongbow longneck bottles (which are green) and ive used a umm... some sort of ginger beer bottle which is green and havent had a problem with either of them

At the bigger breweries they tunnel pasteurize the filled bottles. So any weak bottles burst from the pressure when they are heated up to 65 degrees. Providing you don't damage the bottle you'll be fine.

just dont put to much priming sugar in

i recently made a saison and everytime i go near those bottles i get scared haha but seriously

Latest posts

Back