Glad Wrap Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEC26

Reaction score
Wondering if others had done this? I wanted to have a look in while things were happening.

I have the new Coopers white fermenter with the mostly clear lid but am going away for a week while it brews away, or should I wait till I am here to keep a closer eye on it?

Suggestions, positive and negative feedback welcomed.

Just waiting for the wort to cool . 28 at the moment . . ..

Cheers

Do it. All my brews are glad wrap lidded. Small hole in the middle to keep stuff out (ie.. pin prick) and let the gas vent. Never looked back..

I've done it a lot, particularly when I realised that the lids on 2 of my fermenters would not seal properly and/or the big rubber O ring was stretched.

Follow MV's pinprick idea and you'll be OK just use the O ring to hold the Gladwrap tight round the threads on the top of the fermenter.

Trev

Why bother with a pinprick until the pressure builds up, minimise infection issues. I find attenuation increases when fermentation is not confined under pressure, however once fermentation has ceased or reached the point where little CO2 is being produced airlock your brew, or risk infection.

I've not heard of anyone having an infection using this method, however would be interested to find one. My fermentation practice is pretty much set and forget, ie... crank the temp controller to 'on', close the door and forget about it for however long it needs to take.

Sure, though, it doesn't take much to wait till ferm starts, then prick it.

Cling wrap as well,but use an elastic band in place of the bulky o-ring.

I've used this method no probs.

Does anyone else sanitise their clingrap before sticking it on?

I havent used a air lock (bubbling thing) in years.When I did I use to chill down and suck the liquid back into the fermenter.A real infection problem.I now use a silicon bung with a flap that releases the CO2 and when I chill down It slowly lets the internal pressure equalise.Have not had a infection for a long long time.As mentioned fermenting under pressure is not kind to your yeast but I think this would be under commercial much higher pressure fermentations.I think secondary fermentation under pressure with intention to carbonate naturally is not going to be a problem.So glad wrap would be ok and I would use it if I didnt discover the silicon bung.
Cheers GB

I grab the whole piece of gladwrap and dunk it in a bucket of sanitiser, then I put it over the fermenter. Saves wondering about whether it will be a problem if you don't do it :)

I have a spray bottle full ,at all times with iodophor.Works a treat

The glad wrap is used for food applications so it would have to be fairly sanitary already wouldnt you think.

Ive heard that glad wrap is sanitary but when it comes of the roll it has an electric charge and this can attract little nasties.

Ive heard that glad wrap is sanitary but when it comes of the roll it has an electric charge and this can attract little nasties.

WOW! If it's sterile for starters, we peel it open exposing it to air, moisture (in the air) and static electricity, and put it away in the brewery somewhere for 100 billion years some intelligent life may have evolved. HEAVY!

Still I'm gonna trust the Glad Wrap company implicitly, not going to spend any more on sanitising the wrap before use. TRUE ;)

Thanks all for the reassurance!

Its on, its working, and I can see the brew doing its thing.

Cheers

I have 5 fermentors, 4 use glad wrap, never sanatised it, just roll it off and snap it down with the rubber from the old lid.

I did buy 45cm wide stuff for the big coopers fermentors I have, I found the 33cm just barely made the edges and I always worried it would fall in :eek:

ive used both the glad wrap and the normal lid found no problem with either
the glad wrap is better in that you can see what is going on
it also means you learn what stages your fermentation is up to and when to bottle (dont just rely on the air lock bubble method)

I went through the glad wrap stage. Then I cut a piece of 8mm perspex 300 x 300 - drilled a hole in the middle for my thermowell. Easy to sanitise and no fiddling with clingy plastic and rubber bands.

Cheers, Hoges.

Back