Give Me Your Commerical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
G'day all. Im in great need of a recipe that one trusts and will know with the right brewing technique will turn out to be a quite boring yet great beer to the average commerical drinking joe. The recipe can be extract or kit, i just want one that has been tried and tested as im still trying to win a few friends over with 'home brew'. I only want recipes that have been done by you and have been drunk by your non-homebrew drinking mates. Along the lines of victoria bitter, carlton draught or melbourne bitter. It can be lager or ale, what ever you think will work. Any one who recons they can win my mates over......................have a crack.
Cheers all
eddy

Oh come on Eddy, "a quite boring yet great beer"? Sorry, any recipe of mine that is quite boring I tend not to brew again.

I see in your signature you've got Morgans Blue Mountain Lager on the go. That's a winner kit. I'd be inclined to play around with hop additions in that kit. I used the kit yeast, extra pale LME and a cascade teabag in mine, and it was very nice.

edit: No offence intended in the first line, just an opinion. Assualt your mates with flavour. If they don't like it, tell em to HTFU.

Tony's LCBA clone (the extract version) is a ripper http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=26419. Back the hops off a bit to tone it down for your mates if they aren't used to drinking beer like LC's. Everyone who's tried it, loves it.

Otherwise Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager with a can of Light Malt Extract or 1 Kg of BE2. I used a good lager yeast, but you could use the kit yeast or a good quality ale yeast and it should still be good.

Both are really simple and both were liked by my non-HB mates.

Cheers

Mark

I'm on a winner at the moment,

Makes 23L
1 Coopers Canadian blonde can
1.5 Kilos of Amber Malt Extract
25g Cluster hops tea bag.

Fkn easy to make and really nice to drink, tastes a little caramely which is nice. All the ones I've made so far don't have any sediment in them either so you can drink them from the bottle if you feel so inclined, plus it makes it easier to take to your mates house.

thanks for the replies so far. that canadian does sound very easy and simple to do, may have to give it a try. A question however for any of those who know. Are the yeasts that come with coopers designed to produce a more bland flavour equivelant to that of the standard comerical draught or lager, im comparing this to say s-23 or s-04?? any advice would be great. cheers. and keep those recipes comming!!

23 litres.
1.5kg DLME
.5 kg cane sugar
75g Crystal malt steeped 30min.
35g Golden cluster AA 5.7 @ 60min
10g Golden cluster AA 5.7 @ 10min
34/70 at 12deg.

Bang in 500 dex aswell for a full strength and drop the 10min hops to make it real plan. You could use s-23 or us-05 yeast too

cheers

Mine would be:

2.5 kg LDME
750g Dextrose
300g Carapils and 200g Carared steeped in 4L water
30g Pride of Ringwood boiled in the Carapils steep for 50 minutes.
US05 @ 20C

2 tsp Gelatin dissolved in a cup of water at FG at < 8C and 2 days later 5g of polyclar in half a cup of water stirred to buggery for ages - bottle two days later.

It's GOT to be clear to impress "commercial" drinkers. You could serve them catpiss so long as it's CLEAR and BRIGHT and does not taste of hops.

...to be honest, this is a drop a lot of homebrew drinkers will like too.

Best one i've done so far.
No hop additions at all.

Black Rock Premium Lager
BE2 or Equiv
500G LDM
I used Morgans yeast
Brewed at about 22 deg.

Commercial beer mates were mega impressed.
So was i.
Morgans Blue Mtn Lager is a ripper as well.

Cheers

Jamie

Sounds like a good recipe Nick, you tried this one before or at least something similar?
Now that you mention gelatin and polycar, i have a few questions. When i brew, generally if an ale ill leave it in the fridge for probably 10 days checking FG of course and then when ready to BOTTLE I will rack to secondary fermenter on top of my bottle priming sugars and bottle a way. This meaning i DONT actually let it sit in a secondary for days, just when bottling to get even carbonation and to get it of the cake. I want to use both gelatin and polycar and i do have the fridge to Cold Condition.
What i'm wanting to know and have asked this many a time but generally had very open ended answers is when to add gelatin and when to add polycar and the method used to put these in your beer (ie. after cold conditioning and so forth). Is it as simple as taking the lid of after fermentation has finished and pouring them in gently and stiring??
I know there is not a definitive answer, everyone has their own methods.....I just want one that has been tried, tested and works.
Cheers
Eddy

Sounds like a good recipe Nick, you tried this one before or at least something similar?

Yes. It's one of my quaffers, but nowadays the 2.5kg of LDME is replaced with mashed ale malt. The PoR can be any high AA% hop - all the flavour ends up in your house.

EDIT: answer to: Is it as simple as taking the lid of after fermentation has finished and pouring them in gently and stiring?? Yes.

oright sounds good. when you have written "2 tsp Gelatin dissolved in a cup of water at FG at < 8C and 2 days later 5g of polyclar in half a cup of water stirred to buggery for ages - bottle two days later.
" in other words does this mean once primary fermentation has finished,
- add the gelatin to the primary fermenter and cold crash it at below 8 degrees, preferably 2-3 degrees
- two days later add the polycar into the primary fermenter stirring well when adding it to the beer
- 2 days later i would rack into bottling bucket and just go for gold
would this work? the main question being can it all be done in the primary fermenter?

Hi Eddy,
After reading the http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=21879 how to gelatin thread, this seems to work for me,,,,, ! x heaped teaspoon of gelatin in a half cup of filtered water, an microwave for 25 - 30 seconds to get it hot, stir to disolve, the ad to secondary fermenter and rack the wort into secondary. My wort is at 20 - 22deg C at fermentation (for 14 days)and also during racking. This is then let sit for a further 48 hours and then kegged. The result is clear beer.
I imagine that after the GEL prossess, bulk priming would also give minimal sedement if any in bottles.
Having never bulk primed myself, perhaps some more experienced at this would care to comment.

Also this was a hit with all non home brewing drinkers who tried it

1x Coopers Draught
1 x kg LDM (EDIT OOPS, I meant 500g DEX)
300g DCS
250g dex
10g halertaur @ 20min
Made to 23 litres
kit yeast and ferment at 20C

Good luck with it all

Cheers Ivan :icon_cheers:

oright sounds good. when you have written "2 tsp Gelatin dissolved in a cup of water at FG at < 8C and 2 days later 5g of polyclar in half a cup of water stirred to buggery for ages - bottle two days later.
" in other words does this mean once primary fermentation has finished,
- add the gelatin to the primary fermenter and cold crash it at below 8 degrees, preferably 2-3 degrees
- two days later add the polycar into the primary fermenter stirring well when adding it to the beer
- 2 days later i would rack into bottling bucket and just go for gold
would this work? the main question being can it all be done in the primary fermenter?

This is a YMMV situation, and I think that's why you can't get a straight answer. There is no true way for clearing beer it seems, except for using a 1um filter.

I don't do secondary. So yeah - I do all this in primary (flame suit on and thrower loaded :angry: ) :D .

(Cold crash before adding gelatin, and stir the crap out of the polyclar before adding it ... would be my only change.)

EDIT: all the clearing stuff happens after final gravity. the time given in the whole process is time for the gelatin to grab all the crap and sink it down, and for the polyclar to grab all the gooey crap that is cloudy when cold and sink that down too.

the first one i did was a coopers mexican cerveza, added the recommended brew enhancer and 500g dextrose for more strength and finings at the end to try and reduce the sediment - all my mates loved it and so did i (after just 2 weeks in the bottle, and with admittedly poor temperature control, often quite high) ive got another one in the fermenter now.

oright great so to just to make sure, you can add the polyclar 2 days after the gelatin has been put in (and cold crashed) all in the primary fermenter then rack to bottling bucket and go?

Give the gelatin 2 days, add the polyclar and give that 2 days too.

Gelatin drops out the yeast, polyclar drops out the proteins and some bad flavour making crap.

great thanks for the help nick, by the way what was your boil volume for the recipe you suggested earlier?

great thanks for the help nick, by the way what was your boil volume for the recipe you suggested earlier?

Boil volume is 4 liters. The spec grains are steeped in 4L of hot tap water for 30 minutes. Then the grains are removed and the liquor is boiled with the hops for 60 minutes.

By this time it has reduced to about 2.5L ... which is a perfect amount to dissolve all your other ingredients. Add cold tap water to 23L and add yeast.

oright great so to just to make sure, you can add the polyclar 2 days after the gelatin has been put in (and cold crashed) all in the primary fermenter then rack to bottling bucket and go?

When I first started using polyclar I added it in with the gelatin (to avoid opening my fermenter too many times). On advice from more knowledgeable ones here I separated and now add the gelatin first and the polyclar a day or 3 later. Works markedly better that way.

So I guess that's a plus one?

Latest posts

Back