Ghetto System Brew Sizes And Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try to eliminate as much plastic from your ghetto rig as possible, hot liquids and plastic = no good..notice a lot of food platics are finally now BPA free.. there's probably a good reason for that..

Just my 2c

Oops :rolleyes:, now I remember Stux- that triple batch!
Yeah, 83% was probably a little ambitious! However, 75 must still have been a real effort for sure. 76 into is what I got to start with on the new kettle's maiden double run, that was with two separate BIAB bags and something that I will never do again... Single stock BIABs run at 78% which is pleasing, but the process just feels too sedentary.

I never thought to ask Santa for beer stuff, I've been so naughty since last time anyway and I'll get bypassed by his sleigh for sure. A BM aside, I think I've shouted myself enough kit this year though, so I really can't complain. :D

Thanks all for the responses.

I think in the short term I will just build the lautering unit with 2 handy pails and some sort of tap.

Does anyone know the name of the tap that would fit into a handy pail? Could I buy a brass/ss one for a stainless steel pot (which I can reuse for stainless steel later)

We can use our existing 19L Big W pot to boil concentrated wort on the stove. A 'bucket of death' from a handy pail will only be slightly bigger so probably no need for that.

We can use the existing esky for mash tun.

Longer term will probably buy a 70L pot from ross and fit two 2400 elements into it. I would use the 3600 ones but would probably need a special circuit built for it.

Then again now that I think of it maybe I could just convert the esky to an all in one with a false bottom.... hmmmmm... how big an esky would we need for double batches?

For lautering you could probably use an Italian Barrel Tap aka Coopers Style

efcptap.jpg

Back