Ghetto immersion chiller.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ neb, turbulence, by definition is disturbance of flow, thus it consumes energy to create the necessary change in speed and position of the fluid.

Liken it to winnowing grain, you shake it and toss, effectively disturbing its state and adding energy, the lighter chaff will keep flowing in the direction of the push you have the grain (by tossing it) while the grain drops.

If you whirlpool and then stick the paddle in the middle a few inches into the surface. The rotating fluid will quickly start losing energy in the middle. Not so much required in a nice wide pot here viscosity does the job but in a narrow pot, like a keggle, little tricks like this can make all the difference. I'll try some of this out in the next one and get back to you, I've the perfect kettle atm to try it in.

donburke said:
there is a ideal depth and angle with which the whirlpool outlet should be positioned, i think the thread here was titled 'angle of the dangle' or something like that. if i remember correctly, about 1/3 of the way up was ideal.

i recommend you consider that thread before you make your permanent modification
Too late, that bridge has already been crossed (thanks to 421neb, and his friendly neighbour).

My wet test, using just water and some crud that fell off the chiller when I cleaned it, gave a pretty good whirlpool in the middle of the kettle, even without scientific measuring or evidence of other malarkey. A small pile of "bits" (can't think what else to call it) in the middle of my kettle, away from my pickup.

Remember when you were a kid, and you and a mate used to walk/run around the inside perimeter of his swimming pool in circles, making a whirlpool? Seemed to collect all the dirt and stuff in the middle of the pool, all without being too specific about angle, velocity or duration...

WarmBeer said:
Too late, that bridge has already been crossed (thanks to 421neb, and his friendly neighbour).

My wet test, using just water and some crud that fell off the chiller when I cleaned it, gave a pretty good whirlpool in the middle of the kettle, even without scientific measuring or evidence of other malarkey. A small pile of "bits" (can't think what else to call it) in the middle of my kettle, away from my pickup.

Remember when you were a kid, and you and a mate used to walk/run around the inside perimeter of his swimming pool in circles, making a whirlpool? Seemed to collect all the dirt and stuff in the middle of the pool, all without being too specific about angle, velocity or duration...
When I was a kid? I was going to mention it but I was reluctant to mention my white trash pool that sits proudly in my front yard. Come tonthink of it I think I let the cat out of the bag early in the thread. I whirlpool it so that I don't have to spend time vacuuming it.

I'm glad it works WB. We probably could have put more effort into that. Next time.

Thought i'd share my effort for today.
I think it qualifies as ghetto.
Fits snuggly in my kettle and I think its real perty.

Rich

1388045347617.jpg

1388045366048.jpg

That is a far better chiller than a straight coil would ever hope to be.

Well done.

Cheers will have to wait till after new years to test it but think it will do the job nicely. Had the coil in the shed for years. Pretty sure from memory it was 15m.

Rich

That thing belongs in MOMA, for those less cultured that is the Museum of Modern Art. Well done man.

recharge said:
Thought i'd share my effort for today.
I think it qualifies as ghetto.
Fits snuggly in my kettle and I think its real perty.

Rich

It looks like the Flying Spaghetti Monster has evolved into an immersion chiller

Flying spagetti monster chiller it is. (Was going to name it "Chaos").

Quick soak in Napisan and a hose of should see it cleaned easy enough, but i will report back.

Rich

timmi9191 said:
The very inside loop with a poofteenth clearance around it has some built up break on it.. No harder than a coil??
Spread the pipe a bit, soak in nappi san. No harder than a coil.

Plus the chiller goes in about 10min from end of boil.

Dont know why you think its harder to clean.

Glot said:
Has anyone experimented with a conical shaped spiral chiller?
You are still going to have the same issues as a straight coil. The center and outer edges will still stay hot compared to the temp close to the coil. Water is not a very good conductor of heat. Thats why a random spaghetti works better.

A blast with the hose after use should clean any IC. I then brush mine when dry to remove hop debris and it's good to go. I've started to throw my IC in at the start of boil as that way it doesn't affect my hop additions waiting for the boil to return. Every once in a while I'll boil some PBW in the keggle and throw the IC in to clean it up.

That FSMIC (flying spaghetti monster immersion chiller) looks da bomb if you have a decent open kettle. My standard IC needs constant agitation as I'm yet to reinstate my LBP JZ WP IC : Phew, so many abbreviations I almost feel Gen Y.

Camo6 said:
My standard IC needs constant agitation
Thats why I made a "FSM Chiller " ages ago. Agitating with a coil disturbed the trub to much and I had to then let the wort sit sit it would settle. The FSM let the trub settle and chilled quicker.

Note: Was not my invention, I got the idea from Wortgames.

I certainly have no concerns about keeping it clean.
My plan is to chill with it sitting on my cake rack, so trub doesn't get disturbed.
Then siphon away.
I don't have any valves on my kettles.

Rich

Back