Getting great choc flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewy

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been searching the net for ways to impart strong choc flavours into porters, stouts & brown ales. I found multiple sites where people were recommending a Korean roasted barley called Borlicha. It's available in any korean supermarket & is about $2.40 a bag (450gms)

Has anyone used it before? I'm gonna give it a go in a porter. Many people claim it imparts strong choc flavours. I've attached a pic in case anyone wants to try & find it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413005127.968591.jpg

Sounds interesting.

Thomas Fawcett pale chocolate is good. Cocoa nibs would be a good bet too but no idea how much/many you'd need...

That's not much. Like 350gr or so? Love to try it. I've used cacao nibs. Roasted and steeped for 10 days. More chocolate more better :)

I have used Cacao nibs, usually roughly 500gm dumped into the fermenter after a few days, basically when you would throw a dry hop in.

Also used Cacao powder, cheeper and seems to work about the same, use a bit less, about 300gm.

Both do put in some defined chocolate flavour.

Would be interested to konw how they compare to the above product though.

Stewy,
How did the Borlicha work for getting choc flavour?

stewy said:
Hi guys

I have been searching the net for ways to impart strong choc flavours into porters, stouts & brown ales. I found multiple sites where people were recommending a Korean roasted barley called Borlicha. It's available in any korean supermarket & is about $2.40 a bag (450gms)

Has anyone used it before? I'm gonna give it a go in a porter. Many people claim it imparts strong choc flavours. I've attached a pic in case anyone wants to try & find it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413005127.968591.jpg

Sorry guys I haven't tried it yet. Have been busy brewing Saisons recently. I'm planning a porter in the next month so I may try & report back

I put down my first porter for the winter season with cacao nibs. the hydro sample showed good signs of chocolate for me.

What quantity & what stage did you add them?

I went and bought some roast barley tea - boricha from a Korean shop on Saturday, but it was substantially lighter than I expected. I looked up some discusssions on hbtalk and PMd a member who commented on using it. His comment was that boricha added nuttiness and mugicha (japanese version of roast barley tea) was more choc. I guess it depends on variety / brand and darkness of the grain. I'm going to try it. Looked today for mugicha but could only find it in tea bags not grain form so far.

Latest posts

Back