Getting Away From This "brewery" Mentality...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
Tell me what are your holy grail recipes? I mean the ones that don't tastes like any beer you would buy.

Am I asking for trouble? Maybe hehe...

Oh yes and why do you prefer them?

Tell me what are your holy grail recipes? I mean the ones that don't tastes like any beer you would buy.

Mick, you wont believe it, my supposed to be a Corona-Clone (havent found another name yet), turned out as my most aromatic and unique Beer I ever drunk.

As I said, it was supposed to become a Corona Clone, but the end product has nothing in common with a Corona beer (fortunately).

The grain bill looked like this:

54,5% PiMa (6kg)
27,3% Corn/Mais (3kg)
18,2% Rice (2kg)

very little arome hops only

but I gotta say, its a hard work to produce it, takes a long time to convert the starch completely, but it was it really worth.

I had some friends here when we decided just to try the new creation, I just can tell ya, all of us have been fully drunk in the end.

The beer seemed and looked like a light summer beer, cleared very fast, looked almost as a light Pilsener, but.....it had spin....means alcohol...it got down the throat like limonade...but...

I have to brew it again very soon.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

Hi Zwickel

What is the PiMa ?

cheers

All my beers tatse like something no one would buy !

What is the PiMa ?

Clearly "put in more alcohol" ! What's the matter Tony, can't speak German? Watch re-runs of Hogan's Heroes (Fox 1 5.300pm every week day) for remedial lessons !

sorry mates, yeah PiMa should be Pilsener malt.

:icon_cheers:

Haven't found my holy grail

Yes, you are asking for trouble.

I prefer them because they taste fuller, maltier and hoppier

I'll vouch for Zwickel's "Corona Clone". Don't let the name deceive you, Corona this is not.

I've been given the task, by a friend, of coming up with a beer that resembles one she liked in Deutschland. No clues as to style right now, but its getting there.

Also a Czech Pilsner (urquel) done properly is a goal of mine.

WJ

1. Most commercial brown ales underwhelm me. The flagship (Newcy) often reminds me of incompetently made home brew, ie, reeking of aldehydes. Or they just use stunts like molasses, brown sugar or small amounts of roast barley/malt to get the colour and flavour. I guess I want something stronger and more assertive, preferably having the raisiny notes that come from Special B or its equivalents. Some Belgian dubbles get close, but even they are often not as intense as I would like. Similarly, some strong ales like Old Peculiar also get close, although I would have to say that a lot of the recipe clones look way off the mark to me.

2. I'm a big fan of the blackcurrant notes that come from the Bullion/Brewers Gold/etc line of hops. Commercial breweries seem reluctant to use an aroma technique with these types of hops on the grounds that they are reputedly coarse flavoured.

Back