Gawler Show 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
The 2008 Gawler show is done and dusted for another year.

43 entries in the home brew section, judged by Clive Wilson and Mark Prior (last years SABSOSA brewer of show).

Last year i pipped 2nd place by 0.5 points to take out the best in show trophy.

This year the roles were reversed and i was pipped by the very same brewer by 0.5 points.

So its a big congratulations to our very won BRAUFRAU for taking out the Best in Show gong.

I am lucky enough to have a bottle of the winning beer to sample along with her other entries that did extremely well (2 x 1st and a 2nd out of 4 entries).

:beer:

The 2008 Gawler show is done and dusted for another year.

43 entries in the home brew section, judged by Clive Wilson and Mark Prior (last years SABSOSA brewer of show).

Last year i pipped 2nd place by 0.5 points to take out the best in show trophy.

This year the roles were reversed and i was pipped by the very same brewer by 0.5 points.

So its a big congratulations to our very won BRAUFRAU for taking out the Best in Show gong.

I am lucky enough to have a bottle of the winning beer to sample along with her other entries that did extremely well (2 x 1st and a 2nd out of 4 entries).

:beer:

Congrats to both of you!

Braufrau brews partials doesn't she? It gives me hope that I'll be able to turn out good brews without anything like the mashing equipment I saw on Saturday :blink:

Congrats to both of you!

Braufrau brews partials doesn't she? It gives me hope that I'll be able to turn out good brews without anything like the mashing equipment I saw on Saturday :blink:

Thanks DrSmurto and Tanga. A woman wins the gawler show .. must be historic I think?? And thanks to DrSmurto for dropping of and picking up my entries!

Yes, I brew partials. I have a mayonaise bucket mash tun and a 23litre pot. Although, I'm thinking of upgrading to something more manly.

Congrats Dr Smurto and Braufau on a sterling effort at Gawler, good to see AHBer's do so well and take out all the classes at the show.

I picked up 3 x 1st and 2 x 2nd in the 6 classes

Congrats Dr Smurto and Braufau on a sterling effort at Gawler, good to see AHBer's do so well and take out all the classes at the show.

I picked up 3 x 1st and 2 x 2nd in the 6 classes

Congrats to you too Murcluf.

Your 'mash tun' sounds just about where my budget will stretch at the moment Braufrau. You are OS at the moment still? Have fun!

Congratulations Braufrau! Bloody well done!

You too smurto (hehe, you got beat by a girl...nya nya nya :lol: just joking man...:") )

An APA. Lots of Amarillo. :)

Congrats to Murcluf too! But we only took out 5 of the classes between us .. who got the 6th??
Oooh mystery!

:) I got the pale ale and AOV classes, and you said you got 3, but there's one more! 6 in total.

In the 6 classes were
Pale Ale - Braufrau
Dark Ale - Murcluf
Lager - Murcluf
Stout - Murcluf
Wheat Beer - Dr Smurto ?
SpecialtyBeer - Dr Smurto ?
Dr Smurto should be able to confirm this, I was pretty sure he took out 2 firsts. I stand to be corrected

Overall Torphies
Best of Show - Braufrau
Best Novice Beer - Unknown (his name is being passed on to GMK&K for some intensive training I heard)

In the 6 classes were
Pale Ale - Braufrau
Dark Ale - Murcluf
Lager - Murcluf
Stout - Murcluf
Wheat Beer - Dr Smurto ?
SpecialtyBeer - Dr Smurto ?
Dr Smurto should be able to confirm this, I was pretty sure he took out 2 firsts. I stand to be corrected

Overall Torphies
Best of Show - Braufrau
Best Novice Beer - Unknown (his name is being passed on to GMK&K for some intensive training I heard)

Braufrau took out the spec beer with her trippel.

I dont brew wheats :p and i didnt get any 1sts.

And the novice was my mate who scored a 34 for his cider and scored 12 pint glasses and GMKs #

Braufrau took out the spec beer with her trippel.

I dont brew wheats :p and i didnt get any 1sts.

And the novice was my mate who scored a 34 for his cider and scored 12 pint glasses and GMKs #

Thanks for the correction I was just going off the top of my head I could of sworn you scored a couple. pretty sure you score a couple of 40's 41's didn't you ? considering the highest score was 41.5

Congratulations and well done to all involved!!!

Great results Braufrau - care to share your recipes ? :)

Congratulations and well done to all involved!!!

Great results Braufrau - care to share your recipes ? :)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: #18 Amarillo APA
Brewer: BrauFrau
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 18.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 14.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.10 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 22.18 %
3.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 70.56 %
0.18 kg Carapils (5.0 EBC) Grain 3.63 %
0.18 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.63 %
34.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
10.00 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
34.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
40.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.34 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs us 56 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.86 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 9.65 L of water at 79.7 C 68.0 C
20 min Mash Out Add 4.28 L of water at 99.3 C 76.0 C

primed with 180g of dex. and conditioned for 2 weeks ... 2 months by the time of the show.

and here's the tripel .. which apart from the 1st at the show got lots of positive feedback from various drinkers ...

Recipe: #17 tripel
Brewer: BrauFrau
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 18.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Extra Pale Malt Extract (3.0 EBC) Extract 39.06 %
4.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 52.08 %
0.13 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 1.69 %
50.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
8.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
8.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (15 min)Hops 1.5 IBU
14.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.11 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.55 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (1.0 EBC) Sugar 7.16 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: My Mash Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.13 kg
----------------------------
My Mash Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Step Add 10.32 L of water at 75.9 C 65.0 C
20 min Mash Out Add 6.22 L of water at 99.7 C 76.0 C

primed with 200g of dex. and conditioned for 12 weeks ... 6months by the time of the show.

Congrats, braufrau. Top stuff.....bringing any to the swap? oh, wait....they're partials, and some people don't like partials. ;) :lol:

Great results, congrats to all especially Braufrau for Best of Show

The girls are brewin it for themselves :)

On a similar note: Brisbane goodbeer lunches plan on catering for female beer appreciation.

Also, look out for a new class we are introducing very soon - Beer Appreciation for Women. We have created these due to the many requests we have received for a smaller class for women so they will be held for an hour after work on a Tuesday evening. They will feature samples of 6 - 8 beers specially selected to appeal to women's palates. These aren't "chick's beers" but an array of international styles that our experience tells us are more likely than mainstream lagers to appeal to women. The beers will be served with a range of foods including oysters, cheese, chocolate and cake to show how well they complement food. The cost will be around $35 (tbc). The first class will take place in early September

Check it out Link

Back