Gassing A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmcghie

Reaction score
hi there
i just bought a keg system and understand most of it except the gassing part once i transfer from the cleaing cube to the keg how do i gas it do i just connect the hoses and its ready to drink i ve been told to gas it for 45min and shake it then release the gas out of it then re fill this part seems real high tech and confusin any help would be greatly appreciated

Easy method is to connect it up and leave it at serving pressure (80-100kpa) for a week. And i should be all good after that. If you are inpatient and need to drink it right away, you can use the ross method, lot of info about it if you search for it. Basically though you take cold beer in the keg and lay it on the floor. Turn the reg up to 300 kpa and roll the keg on the floor for a minute. Turn the gas off and roll the keg while the pressure settles down and stops around 140kpa. Leave for a few hours and then releave the pressure and you are ready to drink.

Have a look in the articles section here and in particular to the " Balancing a Draught system" article. it's not just a case of connect the gas and away you go there are a few easy to understand rules to apply to get a good pour.
This explains the process and reasoning really well and should sort you out.

Andrew

I've just gotten into kegging as well and have found that everyone I talk to has a different method of gassing their kegs. I over-carbed my first keg because I was too keen to test the system out.

Check out this page, this bloke has a method that seems to be a compromise of the methods mentioned above:http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/?page_id=32

I've just gotten into kegging as well and have found that everyone I talk to has a different method of gassing their kegs. I over-carbed my first keg because I was too keen to test the system out.

Check out this page, this bloke has a method that seems to be a compromise of the methods mentioned above:http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/?page_id=32

Pretty similar to what I do, but instead of a total of 48 hours I have a similar system that gets it ready in 36.
Put keg in fridge (don't wait for it to chill)
Turn reg to 280kpa (40psi)
Leave for 36hours (the first 12 hours it will carb as it is chilling)
Basically this way I keg it early Sat morning, and it is ready to drink Sunday night, and carbed at between 2.3 and 2.6 vol of CO2 which is great for my ales.

hey thanks for that info.......
I just got a kegging system yesterday off my GF for my Birthday.
I just have one more questiong instead of starting a new thread, Does anyone know a cheap place in Adelaide to buy a full co2 bottle!?

Depends on yr idea of cheap. I got mine from Wayne for $200. A 2.6kg bottle full. I somehow emptied it in a week & the refill was $25.

You can try brewmaster @ holden hill countrybrewer @kilburn or there is beer belly @pooraka or there is brewcraft

as for refill i know brewmaster has a exchange system ($25 for 2.6kg) of some sort not sure if brand specific beerbelly has refill facilities i believe not sure about bc or country brewer

Depends on yr idea of cheap. I got mine from Wayne for $200. A 2.6kg bottle full. I somehow emptied it in a week & the refill was $25.

I'd be checking for a leak somewhere along the lines, tap, posts or relief valve.

I often use the 300kpa over 24hrs or so method. It works fine but what I find is that it will start to pour even better after 2-4days after it seems to be fully gassed up. It holds the head better and carbonation seems more consistent for some reason. Just my experience. If I have time or don't plan on drinking is ASAP, just set it to 70-90kpa and leave it for a week.

Yeah thanks guys!
I know BC on North East road has them, but there o0ver $200
Ill check them other places!
This kegging thing gets EXPENSIVE!

Yeah thanks guys!
I know BC on North East road has them, but there o0ver $200
Ill check them other places!
This kegging thing gets EXPENSIVE!

Yeah, the CO2 bottle was definitely the most expensive part of my setup (that includes the fridge).

BUT, it's all a one-off cost. Once you've accumulated the gear you need then you're all set.

I sure don't miss bottling.......

You can hire a cylinder from BOC or the like for about $120/yr plus $35 refills IIRC. If you plan on kegging for longer than a couple of years (most of us do...) then it's definitely worth the outlay.

hey thanks for that info.......
I just got a kegging system yesterday off my GF for my Birthday.
I just have one more questiong instead of starting a new thread, Does anyone know a cheap place in Adelaide to buy a full co2 bottle!?

You got a good'un there. I'm happy if SWMBO doesn't whinge whilst I do anything brew related (or before or after).

Goomba

I'd be checking for a leak somewhere along the lines, tap, posts or relief valve.

I often use the 300kpa over 24hrs or so method. It works fine but what I find is that it will start to pour even better after 2-4days after it seems to be fully gassed up. It holds the head better and carbonation seems more consistent for some reason. Just my experience. If I have time or don't plan on drinking is ASAP, just set it to 70-90kpa and leave it for a week.

My suspicion is that the reg wasn't on tight enough. When I get around to it I'll spray everything with starsan to see if I can find a leek. For now I'm gassing the kegs then turning the gas off at the bottle. It's lasted longer this time.

Back