Gas system issue - not the normal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Reaction score
Hi all I've got a small issue that searching has not answered and I'm hoping someone can offer suggestions.

Currently running a keezer with manifold and standard perlic taps. Have 2.5m of beer 5mm line with a minimal step up to the tap. System running at about 12psi with carbonation done over time rather than forced.

Now for my issue. The first beer pours brilliantly, however if I pour a second one straight up it struggles to form a head. If I wait 10 mins or so it'll be good again.

Any suggestions on why it won't pour one after the other with solid head? Any suggestions appreciated.

Might be the the beer in the line is slightly warmer for the first glass. The second glass is from the bottom of the keg in the bottom of the keezer and is cooler, so there is less foaming from the second pour. Ten minutes later the beer in the line has warmed slightly, and gives great head (don't say anything about what men dream about).

I was thinking the same as Tropico.

The solution isn't ideal - it would be to carbonate to a higher level. However this will probably result in the first pour foaming excessively, whilst subsequent pours would be at a more sufficient level of carbonation and head forming.

But hopefully you can find a good balance between the two extremes.

It may be prudent to add a circulating fan (e.g. a PC fan) to even the temp throughout the freezer box, and see if that's all it needs.
I plan to do that with my keezer build.

Tropico said:
Might be the the beer in the line is slightly warmer for the first glass. The second glass is from the bottom of the keg in the bottom of the keezer and is cooler, so there is less foaming from the second pour. Ten minutes later the beer in the line has warmed slightly, and gives great head (don't say anything about what men dream about).
I say your spot on Tropico, the manifold and/or the beer line in the tower needs to be cooled. MCW you could test this by initially wrapping one of those flexible type ice packs around it or a plastic bag full if ice cubes.
Cheers

It is your tap temp. After your first pour it is heaps cooler than the first.
I have a project to cool the shanks to reduce tap temp like a font fan from keg king to cool the shanks from the inside. Currently waiting on parts from China.

As stated, its most likely temperature. If you cant do the font cooling thing, just do what many do.
Get the carbonation level right for the second beer. The first pour of the night (or day) is a throw away, then the rest are good. The throw away is only half a glass seeing as you have minimal step up to the tap.

Thanks all for your tips. Upon further investigation there is approx 20cm step up which I'm thinking could be a factor. See picture attached. I'm also running at 0.5 to 3.5 degrees to reduce compressor starts as she's an old freezer.

So knowing this added info you think it'll still be a beer line heating issue?

image.jpg

Sorry couldn't work out how to edit.

Some testing appears to show you guys are right. Turned her off to clean her out before the father in law arrives tomorrow and the first pour post cleaning was all head. So that answers that it's a temp issue.

So thinking a fan to try even the temp throughout will me my attempted solution.

Thanks again lads for helping out.

Back