Gas Qd On The Beer Out Post: Can It Be Done?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flewy

Reaction score
Well obviously it can be done, but can you get the QD back off again?

I'm just setting up a keg system, and would like to use a long line gas QD on the beer out post to force carbonate using the Ross method.

I've searched the forums, and there are a lot of people saying "yes, I think you can", a lot saying "no, I don't think you should", but I can't find anyone saying "yeah, I do it all the time".

I'd try it myself (and will if I don't get an answer), but I don't want to risk stuffing up a QD on an experiment that someone else has already done.

Cheers,
Flewy

I've done it on accident before (though could have been beer on gas) and it can go on there with effort, and can be pulled back off again with effort.

For force carbing I find it easier to just swap disconnects using John Guest or MFL screw off.

I put a gas QD on a beer out post once, have fun getting it off...

Why don't you just but a beer out QD and use it with your gas line? Mark it so you don't get it mixed up with your other beer out QD's.

Sometimes as they get older they loosen up a bit an allow you to do it. IMHO, don't do it.

If you want to force carb via a beer out, tee off the gas line and put a beer out fitting onto it for carbing.

QldKev

OK, that's that answered. Thanks for the quick replies, I'll buy another beer QD.

I have one beer QD set up permenantly that I use to force carb a beer once its kegged.

Most of the time I just use it to purge all oxygen out of the keg and also to reduce carbing times when its time to chill for dispensing.

Either way, its real convenient having a beer QD to force carb with

Sponge

I just use the IN post and roll the keg on its side. Bit more effort taking the keg out but does the trick just as well.

An option if you cbf but probably better long term to just get a beer QD or swap JG fittings

If you get a set of QD's with the MFL thread and the JG fittings to suit you can interchange the gas and beer lines when needed.
Simplest solution IMO.
Nige

Just use a beer disconnect or force carb via the gas-in post instead.

Just use a beer disconnect or force carb via the gas-in post instead.

+1
That force carbing via the out post is a crock of hops, it makes no difference at all.

if your going to shake it about it doesn't make much difference going in the beer or the gas post.

I've done all methods as suggested here and have found the easiest method is to crank up the gas, still on the gas post and shake it about or roll it on the floor. Works fine.

If you really want it on the beer post, do as Nige suggested and just change over the MFL quick disconnect onto the gas line.

if your going to shake it about it doesn't make much difference going in the beer or the gas post.

I've done all methods as suggested here and have found the easiest method is to crank up the gas, still on the gas post and shake it about or roll it on the floor. Works fine.

If you really want it on the beer post, do as Nige suggested and just change over the MFL quick disconnect onto the gas line.

Rolling it on the ground increases the surface area liquid/gas interface by shitloads. Especially if you underfill a little and get it splashing.

Back