Gas Manifold - Do I Have A Leak?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 6-way gas manifold and have noticed something that I need to get a clear answer for.

I have noticed that if I turn off the gas at the cylinder, my regulator (Micromatic) will be reading the 100kpa or so I have it set at to dispense beer but if I come back the next day it will be reading 0kpa.

My query is if this is normal or should it still be reading the 100kpa it was at when I turned off the gas at the cylinder?

My thinking was that the gas that was there would stay in the regulator and remain displaying 100kpa.

Could I have a leak in my manifold that is causing this or is this perfectly normal and I'm just being paranoid? Not a big deal but worried I'll forget to turn off the cylinder after a session one day and wake up the next day with an empty cylinder.

Note this also happened when I removed the gas disconnects from the kegs gas posts overnight.

cheers,
cliffo

You have a leak....

Get a pastry or paint brush, a cup of soapy water & dab around all your connections - Gas bottle, Manifold, disconnects etc.
Any leak will show very quickly as a mass of bubbles.

cheers Ross

Mate of mine has a $2 squirty bottle full of dish washing liquid and water, and every time he changes a cylinder, regulator or moves anything he re-tests by squirting every fitting/coupling with this liquid. Picks up every minute leak just as Ross said. I must say that because of his anal obsession his Co2 lasts longer than anyone else I know.

Drew

Back