Gas Line Into The Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozshots

Reaction score
Hi,

I have fridge with 2 kegs. I drilled the door for the beer taps (thanks for advice AHB forum!)

Now I want the gas line to be connected permanently.
Where do I drill? The door was pretty safe, but what about the side of the fridge? I guess the higher the better temperature wise?

Next question, how do I insulate? Do you use grommets? Lastly, how do you force carbonate if the gas line is inside the fridge? Do you simply leave a longer gas line, so you can connect the keg outside the fridge?

Since I have 2 kegs, can I simply connect both connects the the same gas line? Where do I buy T connector?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Check out my albeit brief description here: Linky

Hopefully this is of some use.

I have yet to insulate it, as it is a snug fit. A Grommet is a good idea though!

Edit: T Connector - check out the sponsors above, I like the john guest style fittings personally. worth the few extra dollars imho. Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Every fridge I've ever worked with (BOTH of them) has/had a condensation drain in them.

As it came out of the factory, my serving fridge had a thin, corrugated bendy pipe carrying the liquid from the drip tray under the cooling fins to an evaporation tray near the heater (it's a gas/electric fridge). It now has the Gas In tube snaking into the fridge via the condensation drain hole along with another piece of BEVA tube replacing the bendy pipe for condensation, resulting in two BEVA tubes going out the pre-existing hole. (Simpler than it sounds. :blink: )

My fermenting fridge has the temperature probe snaking in through the condensation drain in the freezer, then straight up through the vent into the fridge section (the freezer is on the bottom).

It may not be for everyone.

I kinda like the idea of a John Guest bulkhead fitting or a Tank Plug in the right spot so you can simply plug/unplug the gas, but that is more work and money.

A home-made bulkhead fitting near the top rearside corner with a JG non-return valve on the outside gas line & a JG "T" connection fitted further down (With the top of the "T" in line with the gas). Bottom end of the "T" is used for purging air from newly filled kegs & for quick force carbing & is blanked off with a JG plug when not in use. It's a good idea to drill a fine hole through the outside skin of the fridge first & feel around inside with a bit of scrap wire to ensure the fridge gas & power lines are not in the way.
Insulated the temp controller probe holes on my fermentation & lagering fridges with Blu Tac which works well but a gas line is probably too heavy?
SpillsMostOfIt's idea is a good one if practicable?

TP

That particular device is like a John Guest straight-through joiner, in that you can join two lengths of BEVA tube together with it, but it is also a bulkhead fitting.

I use them on my party kegs and one is being used as a joiner right now until I summon the energy to do better. They *may* *not* be long enough to fit through your fridge and all its insulation.

Latest posts

Back