Full extract beer - keg life?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't posted in ages cause brewing has gone on the back burner for a while - that leads to my question. I left my keg system sitting for ages with beer in it. I ran out of gas a while back - think I've got a leak in the system. Cause I think I've got a leak I haven't hooked up the new gas and now around 4 months has gone by. Just wondering how long my keg will last without the gas on and if there's a check to see if it's okay. Haven't checked if the kegs are still holding gas either.

Cheers
Newts

If the keg was kept cold and gassed it would be fine. If there is a leak in the keg, there is the potential for oxidation depending on how long ago the co2 ran out and other factors etc. Only real way to tell how it is though is by trying it. If it still tastes fine perhaps look at troubleshooting the leak and getting the gas hooked back up sooner rather than later.

Newts said:
Hi all,

Haven't posted in ages cause brewing has gone on the back burner for a while - that leads to my question. I left my keg system sitting for ages with beer in it. I ran out of gas a while back - think I've got a leak in the system. Cause I think I've got a leak I haven't hooked up the new gas and now around 4 months has gone by. Just wondering how long my keg will last without the gas on and if there's a check to see if it's okay. Haven't checked if the kegs are still holding gas either.

Cheers
Newts
My vote, for what its worth, is that it should be ok.

The only problem I can imagine is that it could have some oxidisation, particularly if the keg stopped holding pressure (has a leak).

If the beer tastes ok, its ok :)

Good luck mate!

Latest posts

Back