Frozen Wyeast Activator Pouch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan79

Reaction score
i bought some wyeast 3522 on saturday and put in the fridge when i got home. i took it out this morning to make a starter and it was nearly frozen solid. will it be ok when it warms up or am i better to bite the bullet and just buy some more?
any suggestions would be great thanks

I've read somewhere here of this happening, and the person was able to make a perfectly good starter from the frozen pack. Just thaw it and grow it up with wort.

Will take a bit longer to build up the numbers, but there should still be viable cells present, just don't let it warm too quickly. Let it thaw out over a couple of hours and get to room temp slowly. You should use the slurry to build a proper starter (unhopped wort etc.) and let it grow up over a a day or two.

I once lost a pack of Wyeast and it was driving me mad where I had put it. A couple of months later I opened a tupperware of odds n ends of hop foils out of the freezer and there was the Wyeast :eek:
It eventually started up and was perfectly ok, only took around two days to fire up to pitchable.

Latest posts

Back