Frozen Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trippers

Reaction score
Last night i went to check my swap beer (smoked marzen) and it had partially frozen BUGGER!!! From the research ive done though it should be alright. It wasnt frozen solid but a small amount of the beer had frozen on top from what i could see. Has anyone else experienced this? Do i have to repitch some yeast for bottle conditioning. I also found this little poem which i thought was quite fitting from the BYO website, i could relate to it. Fingers crossed xxx :unsure:

Chapter 10 - What is Different for Brewing Lager Beer?

10.6 Aagh! It Froze!
By the way, what if your beer freezes during lagering?? Horrors!!Well, it happened to me. Let me tell you about my first lager...

'Twas a few weeks before Christmas and all around the house, not an airlock was bubbling, in spite of myself. My Vienna was lagering in the refrigerator out there, with hopes that a truly fine beer, I soon could share.

The Airstat* was useless, 32F couldn't be set, so I turned the 'fridge to Low, to see what I would get. On Monday it was 40, On Tuesday lower yet, On Wednesday morning I tweaked it, seemed like a good bet.

Later that day when I walked out to the shed, my nose gave me pause, it filled me with dread. In through the door I hurried and dashed, when I tripped on the stoop and fell with a crash. Everything looked ordinary, well what do you know, but just in case, I opened the 'fridge slow.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, My carboy was FROZEN, I had made Ice beer! My first thought was tragic, I was worried a bit, I sat there and pondered, then muttered, "Aw Sh##!"

More rapid than eagles, my curses they came, and I gestured and shouted and called the fridge bad names. "You *******! How could you! You are surely to blame! You're worthless, You're scrap metal, not worth the electric bills I'm paying! To the end of the driveway, with one little call, They will haul you away, haul away, haul away all!"

Unlike dry leaves that before the hurricane fly, when brewers meet adversity, they'll give it another try. So back to the house, wondering just what to do, five gallons of frozen beer, a frozen airlock too. And then in a twinkling, I felt like a goof, the carboy wasn't broken, the beer would probably pull through.

I returned to the shed, after hurrying 'round, gathering cleaning supplies, towels, whatever could be found. I'd changed my clothes, having come home from work, I knew if I stained them, my wife would go berserk. I was loaded with paper towels, I knew just what to do, I had iodophor-ed water and a heating pad too.

The carboy, how it twinkled! I knew to be wary, the bottom wasn't frozen but the ice on top was scary! That ******* refridge, it had laid me low, trying to kill my beer under a layer of snow. I cleaned off the top and washed off the sides, picked up a block of ice and threw it outside. I couldn't find the airlock, it was under the shelf, and I laughed when I saw it, in spite of myself.

The work of a half hour out there in the shed, soon gave me to know, I had nothing to dread. The heating pad was working, the ice fell back in, I re-sanitized the airlock, I knew where it had been. Not an Eisbock, but a Vienna I chose, it was the end of the crisis of the lager that froze.

I sprang to my feet, to my wife gave a whistle, and we went off to bed under the down comforter to wrestle. But the 'fridge heard me exclaim as I walked out of sight, "Try that again, you *******, and you'll be recycled all right!"

*COUeisebockGH*

I've had this happen before when the thermo in the shitty bar fridge shat itself, still carbed up no problem.
Yeast are hardy buggers.

I had an IPA partially freeze during CC'ing. It got bottled with the ice in the cube, craned up really well, tastes great.

Best to add yeast to bottle or dementor to ensure carving unless ur kegging, which I don't think u are.
Or eis it, use the left over as a low Alc beer, add some DME or honey etc and dry hop bomb it. 2 beers!

Best to add yeast to bottle or dementor

dmntr.jpg

Didn't know you were a harry potter fan.

Haha John Palmer has a nice way and getting his message across..... although I was a little puzzled by his gardening story

Yeah, that still shits me when I browse his book.

Back