Fridgy Question - Compressor Cutting Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benno1973

Beer Idiot
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if there's a fridgy out there that could provide some advice. I'm looking at a freezer on gumtree (from the ebay thread) which is listed as 'thermostat needs attention'. I emailed the guy asking what this meant. He said that the compressor keeps cutting in and out and the freezer only holds fridge temperatures.

Obviously fridge temps is fine for a kegerator, but I'm wondering what issues the freezer might have, and if it's likely to get worse?

I know it's impossible to tell without actually looking, but what's the list of likely causes? Compressor overheating due to something like dirty condensor coils? Leaking refrigerant?

Or is it just too hard to guess with that sort of limited info?

Should I grab it (it's free) and get it fixed, or just not worth it?

I was going to grab that yesterday and just put a new thermostat in it... it was already taken tho... the guy musnt of turned up to collect it!

I already have a thermostat so it wouldnt be much of a loss if it didnt work... but then having a huge lump of dead freezer would be a pita to dispose of i guess

No worries redlegger, feel free to jump in and grab it. I've been emailing the guy this morning so it seems it's still available, and it sounds like you have more of a clue about fixing it than I do...

fellas your forgetting that if you use an external temp controller (stc1000, tempmate, fridgemate etc), the freezer's internal thermostat is useless, it gets bypassed. so it makes no differance if its shot of not. Iwould be more worried that the compressor is shot. a replacement compressor costs almost (someimes more) than a new freezer.

fellas your forgetting that if you use an external temp controller (stc1000, tempmate, fridgemate etc), the freezer's internal thermostat is useless, it gets bypassed. so it makes no differance if its shot of not. Iwould be more worried that the compressor is shot. a replacement compressor costs almost (someimes more) than a new freezer.

Exactly, I have a spare temp controller so if it really was the thermostat, I'm not too worried. From the guy's response, he was just guessing though, so was hoping that someone could clarify if it was the compressor rather than the thermostat. If the compressor cooling coils just need a good clean then that's easy to do, but if it's likely to be the compressor itself, then that's another story I guess.

Exactly, I have a spare temp controller so if it really was the thermostat, I'm not too worried. From the guy's response, he was just guessing though, so was hoping that someone could clarify if it was the compressor rather than the thermostat. If the compressor cooling coils just need a good clean then that's easy to do, but if it's likely to be the compressor itself, then that's another story I guess.
yeah unless its ultra cheap or your buying from someone you know then id steer clear. you dont want to build a coller etc or drill font holes etc only to have it die on you a few motnhs later.

edit:
its possible the thermo. anicdotally it seems compressor seem to just all of a sudden stop working, rather than intermittantly work

yeah unless its ultra cheap or your buying from someone you know then id steer clear. you dont want to build a coller etc or drill font holes etc only to have it die on you a few motnhs later.

It's free! (that's pretty cheap). Still, trying to dispose of a large dead freezer would be a struggle if it were to die on me.

It is FREE

I would grab it and just bypass the internal thermostat and use an external controller.

If it is screwed all it's cost ya is a trip to the tip

It's free! (that's pretty cheap). Still, trying to dispose of a large dead freezer would be a struggle if it were to die on me.
council hard rubbish collection (cant remember if perth had them. i dont remember them as a kid) or as Kev said go to a tip. grab it

Some places in Perth have hard rubbish collection. We don't but we get 3 skip bins each year. I'll wait to see if redlegger wants it first, otherwise I'll grab it.

No its all good mate you go for it.... i have decided to refurb my smaller freezer now :)

Good Luck!

Getting rid of a fridge in the hard rubbish collection is a pain as well now, requires a letter from an authorised repairer/sparky saying that it has been degassed properly before they'll take it away. I'm building up my stock of fridges to take to the sparky and get the one bill for the lot, most are stuffed because the gas has leaked out anyway. But without a letter/certificate... it remains on your verge.

If you have the space and it is totally stuffed, it would make an awesome rodent proof grain enclosure.

My guess would be the compressor; thermostats don't usually lose contact until temperature is reached.
The compressor might be drawing too much current and the overload is cutting it out.

Do they know it's the compressor that's cutting out?
I got a free fridge/freezer a couple of years back that only got down to about 15 degrees. They told me the compressor was shot and couldn't work out why I wanted it. When I ran it up the compressor sounded fine, ran the same level each time so I figured it had to be something else.
Over the holidays I took the covers off the inside and had a poke around - no gas lines were damaged, but I found a fan that wasn't turning... took the motor out, took it apart, rubbed it down, lubricated it and rebuilt it.
Works like new now - all inside an hour's worth of work.

Back