Fridge Trouble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langy

Reaction score
I have recently switched to kegs and have modified a fridge to fit 2 post mix kegs. The trouble I have now is that I can't control the temperature and my beer keeps freezing.

Besides getting a new fridge, any suggsetions?

I have recently switched to kegs and have modified a fridge to fit 2 post mix kegs. The trouble I have now is that I can't control the temperature and my beer keeps freezing.

Besides getting a new fridge, any suggsetions?

Yes, buy a fridgemate...it will do the job.
20 or more other people will now tell you the same.
Welcome to the asylum
icon_cheers.gif

Cheers,
Bud

Langy,

Check out my post here Fridge Issue

As you can see from the responses I got, most guys here will recommend using a Fridgemate/Tempmate solution to your woes but that requires wiring or getting in a sparky.

I solved it by using a manual switch and probe from Grain and Grape that plugs into the fridge powerpoint (link is on my opening post). No wiring and works a treat. When I did the sums to buy a Fridgemate plus get a sparky in would cost me more than $115 for the manual unit. Spoke to two guys at a brew club, one going manual and one with two Fridgemates (both award winning homebrewers) and the guy with the manual one had a 1 degree variation in temp range from setting while the guy with the Fridgemates had up to 3 degrees variation.

:ph34r: Flamesuit is on for that one, as I know everyone here supports Fridgemate with a one eye. But the manual has solved my freezing issue straight away. I have a fridge set to 1oC that stays there keeping everything perfectly chilled.

Hopper.

Quote from link:
"Keep in mind here that youll be working with 240V, so if you stuff it up you could die, burn down the house, or the world could blow up!" :blink:

My brewshed is made of wood. Wasn't going to take the risk myself, mind you the plans look ok even for the less mechanically minded - just reckon the manual probe is the quickest/most hassle-free solution you'll get.

Got two good options here Langy, and both will work a treat - plus you'll get way better control over your temps with no freeze. Good luck!

Hopper.

just reckon the manual probe is the quickest/most hassle-free solution you'll get.

Got two good options here Langy, and both will work a treat - plus you'll get way better control over your temps with no freeze. Good luck!
Can't argue with either point. I didn't even consider the manual probe and went for 2 fridgemates. 1 keeps the kegs nice and cool in the chest freezer - set at 2C with a 1 deg variation up or down. The other is on the fermentor fridge set at 18 with a 1 deg variation.
I like being able to see what the temperature of the wort is while it's chilling down before pitching - but if it's purely to keep a set temp and you don't like electrics than the manual probe would be a good way to go.

Back