Freezer Conversion With A Difference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the egg

Reaction score
G'day guys. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my new keg freezer. I've been thinking of upgrading my system for quite a while now - scored a freezer at the right price and it's just been sitting in my shed waiting for me to decide what to do. At first I was keen on a nice shinny font mounted on the lid with 3 or 4 taps they look cool! However, after a bit further research I decided that if I was to go for a font set up, then I'd probably need it to be flooded. My 'bar' is out on the veranda, so it can get quite warm in summer and I reckon that without the flooded font then I'd be wasting too much beer waiting for it to run cool! Not acceptable! Next I did a few searches on flooded fonts and discovered that there is quite a bit to them. Firstly you need a pump to move the glycol mixture around. Then you need some way of cooling the glycol; could be a separate tank inside the freezer, or ideally another fridge/freezer boy, getting a bit complicated now!

Next thought was to knock up a freezer collar like a lot of others on this site. They can look good and the big advantage is that you don't need to chop big holes in your freezer. I toyed with this idea for quite a while, but was hesitant because my freezer is quite deep and by the time I add some stick-out taps, and a stick-out drip tray, there's not much room left to walk past it.

The final idea as pictured here is a box stuck on the top of the freezer. Yes, had to cut a big hole in the lid, but hey, this is my freezer! The top and front of the box was made from a left-over stainless steel dishwasher door cut in half. Sides and back are melamine. I've also lined the inside with foam insulation and plastic sheet, sealed up with silicon sealant.

I've had a bit of a google around and not found anyone that's done it like this before, so thought that someone else might be interested ..

Cheers

Egg

IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

Niice work.... and use of scrap stainless...
Thinking outside the box.... or on-top-of at least :p

Looks great.
One question. 8 kegs, 4 taps :huh:

Doc

Awesome, simple and a great looking setup

I will give this some thought if i can ever afford to upgrade from my fridge

Wow, that looks great!

I'm definitely going to consider something like this for my next freezer, currently have a 3 keg freezer with a collar, but that just looks so much neater!

Cheers

Thats awesome!

I was thinking of doing something similar in dark timber when I can afford a better set up. I got the idea from an old triple beer engine I saw on ebay once that had three beer engines mounted with spouts like that in a box.

Top work!

Very nice! :beerbang:

Looks as good as a couple of fonts,maybe even better.

Batz

Thanks guys for your kind complements.
Doc - 8 kegs / 4 taps - coz one of the main drivers for me in this project was to have a backup brew, ready to go on tap in case I run out mid-session.. So now I have 4 different brews on tap, and a backup of each one gassing at the same time! Great! Eh!

Yer, ok Gryphon, point taken about the safety chain - it is actually a good suggestion and I'll do it.
On the point of gas bottles, this big sucker size costs me $20 per year rent, compared to the smaller size at $130(? ish) per year rent. Tight arse mentality again .. but hey, this is home brew!

Cheers

I especially like the 56x23 drip tray ;)

Got one just like it .....

Noice, very noice ! I like they way you mounted the fridgemate in the side of the box. One question the egg. Where did you find a cylinder that size for that price?

Razz, cylinder came from Greensborough Home Brew shop. He still has them at that price, but I guess it's a long way from Hastings!
Cheers

Wow :super:

What a great concept & superbly executed, complete with circulating fan - Love it :beer:

cheers Ross

That is exceptional work.
By the way, what size freezer is that one ?

I especially like the 56x23 drip tray ;)

Got one just like it .....

x2, lol.

Nice work mate. Is there a fan in there Ross? I couldn't quite tell and was going to suggest it if there's not already. Do you have any issues opening the lid? eg weight, box hitting the wall behind etc.

Well done, thats a good alternative to the old collar method if you're not afraid to hack up the lid.

EDIT: enlarged pics and saw fan, sweet ;)
What are you using to power the fan? I haven't installed my fan yet and am thinking of using an old nokia charger.

QRS - It's a 510L freezer - can actually hold 11 kegs!

KGB - Using an old modem power supply for the fan, as I has it laying in my desk.
Lid is actually not to badly balanced. Bit heavier than normal, but easily stays open by itself. Yes, your right about hitting the back wall if its too close. I've actually set it so the corner of box rests against the back wall when open, instead of opening all the way. That gives me the max room at the front and still plenty of space to drop the kegs in.

Razz, cylinder came from Greensborough Home Brew shop. He still has them at that price, but I guess it's a long way from Hastings!
Cheers

Razz, go to Narre Home Brew and pick one up for $18 a year. A bit closer to home, but still organise the driver. He can help you lift it! B)

Razz, go to Narre Home Brew and pick one up for $18 a year. A bit closer to home, but still organise the driver. He can help you lift it! B)
Does anyone in SA know where i can get one of these deals because I am paying 10.50/mth from SUPGAS.By the way just poured:edit:pulled the first few litres out of my keg sutup and must say that I am feeling like a dog with 2 d$#ks :beer: Its been a great help scouring this site and getting insight from all ye fellow brewers :D Keep up the good work and enjoy another HOMIE :chug:

Back