Freekah......anybody Used It Yet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what this Freekah stuff is like, and how it differs to other forms of wheat. So has anybody tried it? You'd think somebody would have dabbled with it in the past. Haven't seen it in any HBSs but these days with more and more variety being offered by some shops it may be only a matter of time...

That is what I was thinking T.D. I may have to post it in a more appropriate forum so these guys can get on with talking about salami :icon_cheers:

James

Jim you may have solved something that's been puzzling me.

Was at my local Middle Eastern store recently to purchase some bourghul for a Saison I was making. Saw something in the bags next to the bourghul called "Greesh". It to all intents and purposes look exactly the same as bourghul. Perhaps this is another name for Freekah?

It actually sounds like something you'd smoke in a Hookah? :lol:

If this Freekah of which you speak is actually pre-cooked green wheat it could make for a very interesting beer indeed.

Freekah Saison? Hmmm... Not without it's merits.

Warren -

Jim you may have solved something that's been puzzling me.

Was at my local Middle Eastern store recently to purchase some bourghul for a Saison I was making. Saw something in the bags next to the bourghul called "Greesh". It to all intents and purposes look exactly the same as bourghul. Perhaps this is another name for Freekah?

It actually sounds like something you'd smoke in a Hookah? :lol:

If this Freekah of which you speak is actually pre-cooked green wheat it could make for a very interesting beer indeed.

Freekah Saison? Hmmm... Not without it's merits.

Warren -

Warren
I hadn't thought that far ahead. I am a little worried that the WLP300 may impose itself a little to much & not let the Freekah through.
I will do yet another side-by-side brew to get a more accurate picture.
James

Warren
I hadn't thought that far ahead. I am a little worried that the WLP300 may impose itself a little to much & not let the Freekah through.
James

Jim maybe a word to Joe White maltings perhaps? Then we could have a Malt Shovel Freekah Ale?

Warren -

Jim maybe a word to Joe White maltings perhaps? Then we could have a Malt Shovel Freekah Ale?

Warren -

Warren
I reckon if I can get a good result out of this weekends brew we will see a Freekah Bulk Buy thread followed by the Freekah case swap. It will of course end in tears with retailers carrying on about bulk buys, high rents, fuel increases etc & threatening not to stock Freekah............which they don't anyway.

James

I grew up in a large Italian migrant area ( Riverina, NSW )

All I can say is you have not had salami, ham,proscuitto, untill you have it made by them for you from there own pigs....money just cant buy that kind of produce ...sensational :icon_drool2:

But the grappa was sh!t... :icon_vomit:

+1

Well it is bubbling away very nicely. Freekah tastes a little nutty, but a very dry grassy flavour. Almost a sort of smokey aroma but not overly so. Bugger to crack, but that is always the case when you have to change something that has worked so nicely for so long.
I used 3kg JW Pils, 1kg JW Wheat & 1kg Freekah. Hopped with a single addition of Super Alpha to 20 IBU.
Could be a good one for Boxing Day.
Have Fun
James

Missed the context of this thread, thought it was a salami thread....
Keen to hear how it comes out Jim & whether you feel it's worth hunting down.

cheers Ross

+1 James... I'd be fairly interested to hear your results. I'm surprised cracking it was difficult. I would have thought that having some form of pre-cooking would have rendered it a little more friable? That said I think from my reading they only flash heat it to lock in whatever health-giving properties it is supposed to contain.

What yeast did you feed to it?

Warren -

Good on you for giving this a try James. Experimenting with new ingredients is what keeps this hobby interesting. The flavours sound promising too - you may have started a craze!

Also great to see Ross is keeping an eye on it, would be awesome if this was available through brew shops!

Missed the context of this thread, thought it was a salami thread....
Keen to hear how it comes out Jim & whether you feel it's worth hunting down.

cheers Ross

Ross
I guess the best thing to do is grab a kg & try it. I reckon it might catch on, but then I also have some Telstra shares that were also a "good thing"!
At least I know you will be the only HBS that stocks it.
James

I did a quick google & found this place who may be able to help.

Greenwheat Freekah Pty Ltd
Address: Lvl 11/ 80 King William St
ADELAIDE
SA, 5000
(08) 8221 5022

It sounds like an interesting ingredient. let us know how it goes

Warren
James

Both Freekah Hefe & regular Hefe were drained on 26th/27th. Both tasted great.
Not your usual cricket watching beer, but popular with those that tried it.
Could be tempted to try it in a Saison soon as I have an old vial of WLP568 that needs to do some work.
Enjoy the remainder of the festive season to the best of your ability!
James

Latest posts

Back