Free Elsasser Hop Rhizomes Canberra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodos

Reaction score
Greetings all, I've just replanted my hops and was pleased to discover my Elsasser rhizome was huge, so I've made some cuttings and thought I'd offer two of them up here.

Conditions are that you can come and pick them up (I'm in Narrabundah, ACT) on Tuesday next week, or very soon thereafter. (a bottle of HB or two wouldn't go astray either :p )

I've not had a lot of luck growing hops so far, but the Elsasser plant has given me some flowers. As you can see in the pics (if I've uploaded the pics properly), the rhizomes are pretty big and already have a few buds on them. Probably big enough to separate further if you want to share them with your friends or split into several plants.

This year I've replanted them in better/deeper soil and will give them a lot more water/fertiliser/height to give them a better shot.

don't know much about the Elsasser variety either. Supposed to be a delicate aroma/flavour type hop, google tells me Alpha Acid varies from 2%-5%, but little else. Hopefully it'll be a nice way for someone to get a unique beer!

Two_rizhomes.JPG
rhizome_buds.JPG

I know I could try and sell them, but couldn't be bothered, esp since I've not been able to achieve great success with them.

[ps Cozmocraker I've still got another one for you as agreed, it's similar to the larger of the two]

good on ya Kodos, i cant remember if you have given me your details yet?? so PM me your details and when you want me to pick up and i will be there.

cheers cozmo

ps and if anyone can supply some more details on this variety of hop that would be great as well.

French hop, lower yields. I've not tasted personally to comment on imparted flavour(s) but Id be game to try it in a saison in lieu if finding a french recipe that calls for it directly.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Cozmo (P......), is the cricket team ready for some 'high class flavour and aroma'...?

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...pVariaties.html

Cheers

I did see that, just couldn't bring myself to quote "high class" when I live so close to Fyshwick... :p

I have seen it used in a Classic American Pilsner recipe on the old Oz Craftbrewer site (I get nervous looking around there though, I think that list is haunted since it died off a while ago :( :ph34r: )

Thanks for everyone who made contact, the rhizomes have been accounted for.

It's been nice to hear from a few AHBers along the way!

Back