Four Ring Burner Assembly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markarena

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got a Primus cast iron 4 ring gas burner that I've just attempted to put together.

http://primuscoi.com.au/print1.php?product_id=23

gcrbqr_p1_z.jpg

My question relates to the brass (?) discs on the right part that screw toward the main burner part on the left. Are these meant to cover the inlets snugly? On mine they don't. Just thought I'd ask before I put gas through it. :)

Cheers!
Mark

Hi Mark,

I bought the same burner and had the same exact issue, the brass discs don't cover the whole opening leaving a "quarter moon" gap open. On top of that one of the discs wouldn't spin at all on the threads because it was stripped as sold. It still works, the gap determines how much fresh air, read oxygen, gets mixed in with the gas before it goes to the flame. You need some gap, but how much depends on setting it up so the flame burns well.

I'm not an expert, but I have mine mostly closed, however, this still leaves a decent opening for air to get in. Have a fiddle, it will work, and as far as I can see, it's mostly just fine tuning.

Cheers,

Rob

I have the 3 ring version of this.

I have the air gaps open as much as I can get them, ie the discs are fully screwed out.
Works just fine for me.

I've got the three ring version. As Rob says the disc is designed to allow air to mix with the gas before it reaches the burner. The correct setting for the brass disc is partly open, so having a non-snug fit is no problem at all.

Increasing the gap around the disc lets you open the valve a little more on that ring while maintaining a blue flame... up to a point.

Cheers

Setting will depend on regulator. I've got a 'high flow' 2.8kPa regulator - most BBQ regulators are between 1.5 and 2.5kg/h flow rating, mine is a 3.5kg/h. Doesn't sound like a lot of difference, but as a basic regulator it really cranks out the heat from my three ringer. You can also get adjutable and high pressure regulators to improve the output.

I've got the rings pretty much all the way back from the inlet. This varies a bit and needs minor adjustments, often if gas is running low and the flame starts getting weird.

You may wish to take a quick squiz at this thread, which covers most popular burner types and what they will do with different regulators.

Cheers - boingk

You may wish to take a quick squiz at this thread, which covers most popular burner types and what they will do with different regulators.

Wow, that's some great step by step photos in there! I'm gonna be even more cautious when I get this running.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

Latest posts

Back