Found Some Pots- Good Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
OK, I found some aluminium pots which I am thinking of buying for doing my boils in. Their sizes and costs are-

90L- $165

120L- $190

Good prices? Should I get them?

Aluminium is fine PnC.

What size boils are you planning to do? How are you going to move the wort?

Both sound like a good price to me. How thick are the sides?

peas_and_corn said:
these are aluminium- still good?
[post="115273"][/post]​

I use a 60L one quite happily. There's been a lot of discussion here on aluminium pots if you want to search.

Kai- interesting. How big are your batches?

Stuster- this pot is part of a series of purchases and progressive batches on my journey towards AG. Since it takes a long time to do an AG batch, double batches will definitely be mandatory- so after everything I'm looking at 40-45L.

I'm planning on installing a tap to the front and moving it via hoses/chillers to the fermenter. Hopefully I can set it up to be all gravity feed so I won't have to buy a pump.

I didn't do a measurement, but they certainly seem thick enough. They are about the same thickness as my small ss pot I use currently to do my boils.

Not sure where you are but you can get a 98L heavy duty SS pot for ~$300, and SS will last forever.

http://www.allquip.com.au/home/index.cfm?f...=69&startrow=21

No affilation etc.

The aluminium rivets on my cheapo stainless HLT are pitted and wearing away visibly after ~55 full mashes, not sure how keen i would be knowing the aluminium salts dissolved are going into my beer on an aluminium pot.....

peas_and_corn said:
Kai- interesting. How big are your batches?

Around 20-25L currently but I chose the pot so I have room to expand a little.

BigAl said:
Not sure where you are but you can get a 98L heavy duty SS pot for ~$300, and SS will last forever.

http://www.allquip.com.au/home/index.cfm?f...=69&startrow=21

No affilation etc.

The aluminium rivets on my cheapo stainless HLT are pitted and wearing away visibly after ~55 full mashes, not sure how keen i would be knowing the aluminium salts dissolved are going into my beer on an aluminium pot.....
[post="115279"][/post]​

I'm in SA.

But... how much is the postage?

I'd like to hear what others have to say about these concerns about aluminium...

Do a search, it has been covered extensively. Chiller wrote an excellent post, so you could use his nick to narrow the search.

BigAl said:
[post="115279"][/post]​

Indeed, I use one of these 98L SS pots for a boiler, has an awesome heavy base for heat distribution.

So you'd be mad to pay $600 for anything that size.

OK, I read this thread and chiller mentioned you should 'season' the pot. What does that mean? I haven't heard of this before.

Also, my mum found another place that's selling 100L aluminium pots for $155. Worth a look, I'd say!

Seasoning aluminium is as simple as leaving the cleaned pot exposed to air.

Aluminium combines with oxygen to form aluminium oxide, which shows as a slight dulling of the surface. This forms a protective layer over the aluminium.

Every time you wash the pot, clean it, but do not scrub it back to shiney, as this is removing the oxide layer, and it will just reform.

Pots new from the shop, may have some sort of film from manufacturing, or perhaps to protect it and make it look shinier in the shop. Follow any manufacturer's instructions for the first clean.

Do not use sodium hydroxide to clean it. This is a quick way to put holes in it.

You can season it by filling it up with water and giving it a good boil.

The inside will go a dull colour.

Just wash it but dont scrub it back to shiney as POL has mentioned when you use it to boil your wort.

johnno

Cheers POL, Johnno. So I just boil water in it for, say, 30 mins, empty and let it air dry? Is that a good method?

Its as simple as that. The difference in colour is quite amazing. I can see the water line in my pot from the oxidiation layer from at least 5 metres away. Just boil it, and your done. Don't be scared of Aluminium, its scientifically and home brewer proven.

Will

Great!

Thanks to everyone for making me confident about this purchase! I'll get it sometime soon

P&k 165 bucks is expensive u can get a good ali pot from woodies equip on cavan rd gepps cross a 60 litre would cout around 90 bucks good enough for a normal all grain brew

This link was posted some months ago.... Just waiting to get back to Sydney to make a purchase.

Link

M

Latest posts

Back