Found 2 * 80lt Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybee

Reaction score
hey guys,

thought i would give everyone the heads up that i found two 80 lt (yes! 80lt) + two 50lt kegs at pete's bargin center in ringwood (maroondah hwy). all 4 were originally CUB and have been modified at some stage for storage of some king of liquid, they have a screw type lid in the middle where you'd normally hook up to. they seemed to have gal on the outside... not sure thou.

i hadn't asked him on a price, but items here are highly negotiable... :ph34r:

this place, is a bit of a Pandora's box as far as finding all sorts of stuff if you haven't been there before, he get stuff from auctions when business' are closing down and stuff. sometimes there are some great pickups, mostly junk...

cheers Jimmy

ps no affiliation

I have seen some kegs which sound similar - they weren't cub, but UK imports used to bring in cider. i have seen at least 1 brewer on this site using them (can't remember who)

Sounds like the keg I have for my Kettle. Check out my album for photos.

Most likely old 18G kegs or Kildekins.

Went out of service as part of consolidating the keg stock into as few sizes as possible and making them able to all be picked up with the same design of forklift attachment. Also for OH&S reasons - not so much fun for the truckies who have to lug around full 80L kegs all day.

Probably just like Pok's - with an outer skin of non stainless protecting an inner stainless tank.

For the legally concerned out there - in all probability these ones will be perfectly legal. Because the brewery was not going to use them any more, there weren't the tight restrictions on re-selling them that there are on the current style of keg. So probably kosher.

Might go take a look myself actually.....

Thirsty

edit: fat fingers

I have seen 18 gallon kegs a number of times at the local scrap metal recyclers. They don't have the nice screwtop features that jimmybee found.

Most of the 18 gallon kegs have a side spear, which means extra work in welding a cover up.

thsanks for the heads up, ill be heading out there romorrow to check it out.

Have 2 of these galv shrouded kegs - both 50L. If they have the big nut to hold the lid bit on, they make terrific 50L fermenters. A 19L corny keg lid o-ring fits the opening in the ones I have - a piece of clear acrylic for a lid, drilled with a grommet for the airlock, screwed down tight with the big brass nut.

To empty, another piece of acrylic with 2 holes. One with a short piece of copper tube that attaches to CO2 line, the other with a long piece of tube connected by bev tube to a beer out connector. Pumps contents direct to kegs for carbonating.

If you do 50L batches and can get hold of kegs like this, grab them!

Good shopping

Andrew

Back