Foul tastes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Guys,
I made two kits, one straight after the other. One was ESB Bav Wheat the other Beermakers 1.5kg Munich lager and No 40 converter. The Bav wheat is over carbonated and holds no head and both have a phenolic flavour ( almost metallic), I know the Bav wheat should have this ,but it's over powering.

Should I hang out and hope,Both are 3 months old, or should they go to the great beer garden in the backyard
Both were primed with coopers "lollies" Me thinks they may have been infected

Awaiting your knowledgable replies

Linz :(

Linz,

I'm sorry I can offer any advice on the cause or wether you should hold onto it or not, however I too have some pretty strange tasting brews.

My first batch I ever did was a Pale Ale and to my surprise it came out pretty damm good - as a result that batch was quickly consumed.

Prefering a Lager over a Pale Ale I go straight into the Lager brews using SafLager yeast - and to this day haven't brewed something decent.

As far as I can see I am following instructions, fermenting cold, storing, keeping everything clean and sanitize, but I keep ending up with a taste that I can only describe as 'metalic'.

Linz, my friends brewed that ESB Bav Weat and he tool had a strong Metallic taste - but as you said that it that type of beer.

My Lagers are raly wierd, I don;t know what has happened to them - Its very hard to describe and to get a proper answer I might take a beer or two over to ESB and get the guys to have a taste to see if they can pinpoint the problem.

Any ideas guys?

Al Korzonas in "Homebrewing Vol 1" writes about metallic flavours

"High iron or other metal content in the water is a common source of metallic flavour - get a water analysis and check the iron content"

"The use of mild steel kittles, fermenters or utensils can give the beer a metallic taste. Use only stainless steel, aluminium, copper or plastic utensils"

"Over scrubbing aluminium or stainless steel kettles removes the protective oxide layer and exposes fresh reactive metal to the wort adding a metallic flavour"

What was the fermentation temperature?

cheers
reg

I don't use any metal products in my brewing - while I am describing it as a metalic taste - it is probably something a little diff - its very hard to describe. I think it is some by product from the Saflager Yeast (like the rotten egg gas during fermenting - this is normal) but it seems like all of that isn;t getting out of the brew or something.

I might try a Pale Ale (just to use a different yeast) and see if I get the same results - that way I will know it is the Saf yeast and how I am brewing it rather than my method or equipment.

EDIT : I try to pitch at 18 and then brew at 12 for my Safs.

Latest posts

Back