Forgot to sanitise syphon hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_27

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if you all sanitise your syphon hoses before use? I'm guessing the answer is yes... I started syphoning into my batch priming bucket and got to about 5 litres before I realised I forgot the bloody fill it with Starsan as I usually do! :blink: I did fill it with PSR and rinsed with hot water then put it into my fermenter with 3L of Starsan and shook it about with the other bits and pieces. But none of the starsan would have gotten into the middle of the hose. I'm a little pissed off at myself because it was tasting really good. I'm hoping the PSR will be enough to sanitise the hose or at least keep the bugs at bay... or stop the bottles exploding!

Cheers!

I sterilise everything if it touches my beer.

That being said.. if you were going to use an unsterilised (but hopefully clean) hose, better that the beer contain alcohol which will fend off the nasties. Let it go and see what happens - if you can get your hands on a PET bottle, you can open it in 2wks, and if it tastes infected / is obviously overcarbonated due to infection, be worried about your other bottles.

I have a spray bottle of starsan that I use for the insides of hoses, whether it completely coats the inside I don't know but in all the time I've used it on all the batches it's been used on I've never had one infection in either bottles or kegs. I've never used Starsan on my bottles though and again had no problems although I wouldn't say it's the best practice...

Sterilise everything, no.

Sanitise everything, yes

But my hoses do get sterilised, after already being hit with starsan I run the boiling wort through hoses/pump for the last 10 minutes of the boil to cook the impeller / pump head / hoses.

Everything else that touches beer post boil is sanitised not sterilised.

damoninja said:
Sterilise everything, no.

Sanitise everything, yes

But my hoses do get sterilised, after already being hit with starsan I run the boiling wort through hoses/pump for the last 10 minutes of the boil to cook the impeller / pump head / hoses.

Everything else that touches beer post boil is sanitised not sterilised.
Lol... Too used to sterilising baby bottles I think! But I fixed my typo thanks!

Rocker1986 said:
I have a spray bottle of starsan that I use for the insides of hoses, whether it completely coats the inside I don't know but in all the time I've used it on all the batches it's been used on I've never had one infection in either bottles or kegs. I've never used Starsan on my bottles though and again had no problems although I wouldn't say it's the best practice...
I often just rinse bottles with hot water too and never had any issues. Hopefully thats the case with this dam hose... My usual process is to fill about 1/3 of the hose with starsan and lift each end higher than the other so the starsan runs from end to end a few times before draining. Fingers crossed the alcohol stops any bugs...

Cross your fingers and hope for a good result. You might be surprised how much starsan got into the hose when shaken up in the fermenter. I do the same but then usually give it another spray at either end with the squirt bottle before commencing transfer.

When I was a wee lad I used to help my dad with his "brewery duty". For a couple years he brewed in a plastic rubbish-bin covered in a cotton sheet held on with an ocky strap. The hose got the sod-met treatment ( no bottling wands back then) as did the bottles. Not ever did he have to dump a brew due infections. But he was meticulous and methodical about cleanliness. That's the way. Just drink that brew extra quickly. When it's gone you've got nothing to worry about.

Vini2ton said:
When I was a wee lad I used to help my dad with his "brewery duty". For a couple years he brewed in a plastic rubbish-bin covered in a cotton sheet held on with an ocky strap. The hose got the sod-met treatment ( no bottling wands back then) as did the bottles. Not ever did he have to dump a brew due infections. But he was meticulous and methodical about cleanliness. That's the way. Just drink that brew extra quickly. When it's gone you've got nothing to worry about.
Wow, it goes to show how anal we've become! It should be right. After its last use it got a PSR wash and rinse, then another one before this brew. I was tossing up whether or not to toss the first 5 litres and clean the hose again and the bucket, but thought I'd just risk it and see. I still had to hydrate some yeast and pitch another batch after I washed up all this equipment so I really wasnt in the mood and just sat there swearing at myself for a few minutes.

She'll be right, mate.

PSR is more than adequate. Have you noticed how strongly it smells of chlorine? That would have done the job.

Chillax!

Did you clean the hose last time it was used and store clean then it may be OK.

wynnum1 said:
Did you clean the hose last time it was used and store clean then it may be OK.
Chances are that even if you didn't place them in anything to sanitise them you'd still be OK, the chances of an infection in a healthy fermentation are very very slim if your gear is generally clean.

The hoses and other brewing equipment assuming was thoroughly cleaned and stored dry after last use shouldn't have much opportunity to collect too much other stuff.

RDWHAHB

I hope you wouldn't be suck starting your syphon, would you?

Latest posts

Back