Forced Priming Kegs Vs Sugar Priming Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bottled, kegged, and force carbed in kegs then bottled.
Out of the fifty or so times I have done this the beers that are poured from the tap into bottles are ALWAYS much better tasting than the beers that I have bottle primed from the same batch. Cleaner, clearer, less DMS, less ethanol and off flavours.

My conclusion: Bottle carbing with sugar is shit and I will never accept it as a good way to make a nice beer. And they carb up shitty too, never as creamy and smooth as the ones that are carbed in the keg. Always more coarse and with a strange flavour I cant quite explain.
I think it ruins the beer that has been fermented and changes it into something a little, different. Not always a bad thing though of course as hoppy beers do taste good bottle carbed. Prob cause the hops mask the off flavours from the sugar.

Bottle carbing, it works, but I think that getting a keg setup was the best thing I ever did.

I agree. I think there is no comparison.

My keg beer is way better than anything I have bottled.

Byran said:
I have bottled, kegged, and force carbed in kegs then bottled.
Out of the fifty or so times I have done this the beers that are poured from the tap into bottles are ALWAYS much better tasting than the beers that I have bottle primed from the same batch. Cleaner, clearer, less DMS, less ethanol and off flavours.

My conclusion: Bottle carbing with sugar is shit and I will never accept it as a good way to make a nice beer. And they carb up shitty too, never as creamy and smooth as the ones that are carbed in the keg. Always more coarse and with a strange flavour I cant quite explain.
I think it ruins the beer that has been fermented and changes it into something a little, different. Not always a bad thing though of course as hoppy beers do taste good bottle carbed. Prob cause the hops mask the off flavours from the sugar.

Bottle carbing, it works, but I think that getting a keg setup was the best thing I ever did.
Hmm, im new to kegging, but the first keg I did I force carbed, found the keg head was not smooth and dense and was lumpy as you drank the beer with a funny aroma, beer was delicious though. The bottled stuff was nice dense smooth head that was well retained, the beer was more hoppy also than the keg as time went on but don't think anyone would dispute that.

Second keg I thought perhaps slow carbonating would help get a smooth dense head, but its actually lumpy and coarse like the last one, while the sugar primed bottles are perfect smooth head again! I am disappointed at this stage in the keg, I set it to serving pressure (1 bar) for 10 days.

What should I tweak from here guys to get a smooth head into the beers? Both were pale ales, one kit one a partial. I have my first AG stovetop method fermenting at the moment so don't want to have coarse head on it once its kegged, it needs the respect it deserves lol!

Latest posts

Back