Force Carbonation & Head Space

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if the gas pressure is maintained to the headspace, this will also only affect the time it takes to carbonate. If the surface area is small, it will still get there in the end.
Good clarification. I interpreted ability to absorb as rate, but yes given a defined pressure it will always equilibrate to the same level, given enough time.

My 2c, if the pressure is stable it shouldn't vary much. The more head space the more pressure change you will get when lowering the temp ie. cold crashing as the gas is more volatile than the beer and will expand and contract with the temperature differential a lot more if there's no positive pressure applied to keep it stable. But from what you've said the pressure is at the level you want it when chilled?

One thing I cant help but wonder is why people are still talking in Volumes of CO2 and PSI. We went metric when I was still in primary school (just), after several years of school trying to learn imperial, I thought metric beat the imperial non-system hollow.
All the maths works better in metric, the Germans are now talking %CO2, I'm happy using g/L of CO2.
Even doing mass priming calculations is so much easier in metric that most imperial brewers do it in metric then convert the answer to silly units.
Mark

Were you taught at school that volumes of co2 was an imperial measurement?

No but it certainly isn't "systematic" where as g/l or %WV is.
To find the answer in Volumes you will probably do the calculations in metric, then convert it to Volumes.
PSI is clearly imperial and the two do kind of go hand in hand. Accepting that Bar/Atmospheres isn't really a metric unit either very convenient for a lot of calculations tho.
Mark

I have had a sticky return valve in my manifold caused by accidently sucking beer into the gas line. This caused one keg to stop receiving gas and went flat. At the time I cranked the pressure until the valve was forced open, it took about 40psi, and later gave the manifold a good soak.

Back