Force Carbonating?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All.

I just read a post about kegging and I agreed with everything. I have a query though...

One person mentioned force carbonating in 10 minutes! I would call myself an experienced brewer - I know all about the temps and gas setup for kegs. What I dont know is how to achieve force carbonating in ten minutes...

Please inform...

Cheers!

BTW if you are thinking of buying a CO2 gas bottle I would highly recommend shopping around. As much as I love brew shops and regularly spend my $$ at them, their prices for this sort of thing are typically heavily inflated. I went direct to a gas bottle suplier and I ended up jagging a 6kg bottle - filled - for $120. Its fully certified with all the paperwork. This was a lot cheaper then the $340 I was quoted from the local HBS.

Kegs Away!!!!

Cheers.

BTW if you are thinking of buying a CO2 gas bottle I would highly recommend shopping around. As much as I love brew shops and regularly spend my $$ at them, their prices for this sort of thing are typically heavily inflated. I went direct to a gas bottle suplier and I ended up jagging a 6kg bottle - filled - for $120. Its fully certified with all the paperwork. This was a lot cheaper then the $340 I was quoted from the local HBS.

Kegs Away!!!!

Cheers.

But is that yours outright or is the "rental" option?

This method is wonderful. I tried it the other day and it worked flawlessly.
Only if U like rolling and shaking kegs around and then lifting them into a chest freezer. I like to fill mine in the freezer and just hit with 350 kpa for 20 hours. Same result just take 19 hours longer or so.

Steve

Only if U like rolling and shaking kegs around and then lifting them into a chest freezer. I like to fill mine in the freezer and just hit with 350 kpa for 20 hours. Same result just take 19 hours longer or so.

Steve

No need to roll the keg. Simple rocking action works fine for me.

...and the keg is already cold first. So its easy rocking for 50 seconds, wait an hour...bingo bango...beer on tap :D

I'm a "carb for a week at pouring pressure" guy.. no overcarbing.. EVER!!!

this can happen with the "Ross Method" a few times before you get it down pat....

why bother I say? The week in the keg conditions, drops all the leftover yeast out...

I just hate lifting a full keg up into a chest freezer, and over the collar. I like filling the keg in the freezer and just force carbing o/night. But with 4 kegs on the go theres never a rush to get em carbed.
What ever way you do it, it does not matter, as long as the end result is the same. :icon_drunk:

Do you connect the gas to the gas in or the beer out?

Gas in.

I should point out tho i am only aiming for 1.6 volumes so doesnt take as long to get there! 45 - 50 seconds of gently rocking a keg that is already at serving temp (9-10C). Its normally a little undercarbed but over he course of a few weeks it balances out.

SJW - I have tried the 350kPa overnight and the hook it up at serving pressure and wait. They all work fine. I just rock gently to get the process a head start, plus my kegs only need to be lifted 10 cms or so over the lip on the fridge! Each to their own and all that jazz.

plus my kegs only need to be lifted 10 cms or so over the lip on the fridge! Each to their own and all that jazz.

Nice, very very nice

I tried force carbing via BEER IN, found it a waste of time. I can gas via the GAS IN, don't change any connections but just lay the keg down sideways. use the ONLINE STOP WATCH (google it) and give it a bash for 55 seconds. then shake down to pouring pressure and I'm good to go 10 minutes later.

there is no waiting one hour, 10 minutes and i'm pouring a gassed delicious beer!

*edit* also, I'm another one that gets a bit shirty when people call it "the ross method'. he didn't invent it, he didn't come up with the idea and he obviously has nothing to do with people that did. It should just be called Forced Carbonation method. obviously doesn't have the same sound to it and stuff.

*edit* also, I'm another one that gets a bit shirty when people call it "the ross method'. he didn't invent it, he didn't come up with the idea and he obviously has nothing to do with people that did. It should just be called Forced Carbonation method. obviously doesn't have the same sound to it and stuff.
Nothing obvious about that to me. ;)

Its called the Ross Method in the sticky.
And here too.

Call it what you like I don't care, and I'm sure Ross doesn't care either, but this method works perfectly for me.

Cheers,
Jake

No need to roll the keg. Simple rocking action works fine for me.

I find the rocking action at 40-50sec works fine for me. Set reg at 300kpa. The only thing that I do different is to invert the keg (turn up side down) to allow the gas to flow through the cold liquid.

BYB

Latest posts

Back