Force Carbing Kegs "the No Shake Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think its more like 30 kegs unless you do a lot of cleaning with them.
My inicial pressure in the regulator dropped a bit after the first few kegs as well but then stayed steady for a long time. I also was going to get a refill before xmas so i didnt run out in the prime time of beer drinking. (as it felt really light as if it was empty) 4 kegs later and its still managin to squeeze more out of it.

When i clean the lines i fill the keg right up with sanitizer so not as much c02 is used to get the sanitizer flowing.
Ive put 18 Ags through mine and about 6-8 Kit beers and thats 12 months in march this year that ive owned my cylinder.

$45 to swap it for a full one. If i get a full year out of each cylinder ill be stoked.

edit: i use the ross method and the slow carbing up method 75% ross 25% slow. Im not sure whether that makes a difference to how much c02 i use for each keg as it should be the same i would think as they both would absprb the same amount.

HOLY CRAP Kingy. Maybe I still have a few more kegs left in mine then. I just had a look at my records and I have done 8 kegs now and 4 are still in the freezer. I used the Ross method the first few so I vented a bit and when I put Iodophor in the kegs I only put a little so I would be using a lot more gas. I think I will fill em up from now on. But I will see how many more I get out of it.
Thanks.

Steve

Don' keep records re CO2. Force carbing, serving, filtering etc about 18 months, how many kegs ??????

BUT and theres always a but, I don't leave the gas turned on.

Screwy

HOLY HOLY CRAP. Maybe I have a lot more gas left in it than I think. I guess we are not talking huge pressures so I hope I get a lot more kegs out of it.
Also I did put the whole system up to the reg in the pool and hit with 300kps and there was no leaks but they were not hooked up to kegs.
Anyway I am sure i'm stressing about nothing.

Steve

Well I wont copyright the title just yet but in an effort to save my back I am filling kegs while they are in the freezer so I am unable to get a good shake on them, AKA Ross method. So has anyone just hit a full keg of chilled beer, through the gas IN post, at 300kpa and just left it? I will be able to answer my own question in a day or so as thats what I have just done. My theory is that there must be an initial pressure that you can hit a keg with and NOT vent the keg and just let the forced co2 be absorbed into the beer. Even if it takes 24 hours to soak in. Or would I need to keep topping up the pressure to 300kpa as it get absorbed into the beer.
If anyone has any advice or has tried this method let me know otherwise in a day or so I will let you know my results.

Steve
Steve,
I've been using that method for about 5yrs now, warm keg into fridge at 350Kpa for 24hrs with beer line disconnected for safety.
I've found since I setup my chest freezer with a Fridgemate at 2deg I am getting overcarbed beers. Probably because the kegs are cooling down much faster and colder than the fridge I had before meaning more gas in the beer sooner.
If you started with cold kegs I wouldn't go much over 12hrs at 300Kpa and just see how it is.
I'm still trying to adjust my gas time as I usually empty one keg just as I'm filling the other :rolleyes:
Hope this works for you

Dave

Thanks Dave. I dont like leaving the gas on, essecially at 300kpa so I am doing the 300kpa blast every day. 3 days seems to be good for chilled kegs to get em up to speed.

Steve

Thanks Dave. I dont like leaving the gas on, essecially at 300kpa so I am doing the 300kpa blast every day. 3 days seems to be good for chilled kegs to get em up to speed.

Steve

Your onto it Steve, every system is different, all about getting to know your system. You'll soon be able to carbonate with confidence to just the level your looking to achieve.

Screwy

Thanks Screwy. It's like everything in this brewing gig. Take on all the advice, find out how something works and then if you know how it works you can adapt to suit yourself. I am finding this with the kegging but also with the brewing side of things ie mashing. oh and pitching dry yeast too :p

Well just to wrap this puppy up. I kegged the Weizen on Sunday and after just hitting the keg with 300kpa every night after work, and NO SHAKING, finally last night the gauge was steady on about 100kpa, it was still u little under done for a Weizen so I hit it again for the 4th time last night and this morning its great.
Just for the record this was the Weizen I did single infusion at 67 deg C as a test. Next time I will do an acid and protein rest for sure. Head retention is not great but maybe thats because the beer is a little green and under carbed, as I did not have a full pint this morning before work, and during fermentation it did not go off like a bomb as some have reported with the new dry Weizen yeast. I did ferment at 20 deg though. So next time, acid and protein rest and ferment at 25 deg C.
Also I find that with the 4 kegs and one reg and the Celli's if I get the keg to the right carbonation level at the start with force carbing, then by just leaving the gas at 80 to 100 kpa it maintains, pretty much, the various carbonation levels for the 4 different beers. I have an Irish Red, English Special Bitter and the Weizen and soon my Schwarzbeir and using this method they tend to hold their individual carbonation levels. I know the theory is that the c02 will come out of the beer and equalise but I guess this takes a long time. That my findings anyway.

Steve

Well just to wrap this puppy up. I kegged the Weizen on Sunday and after just hitting the keg with 300kpa every night after work, and NO SHAKING, finally last night the gauge was steady on about 100kpa, it was still u little under done for a Weizen so I hit it again for the 4th time last night and this morning its great.
Just for the record this was the Weizen I did single infusion at 67 deg C as a test. Next time I will do an acid and protein rest for sure. Head retention is not great but maybe thats because the beer is a little green and under carbed, as I did not have a full pint this morning before work, and during fermentation it did not go off like a bomb as some have reported with the new dry Weizen yeast. I did ferment at 20 deg though. So next time, acid and protein rest and ferment at 25 deg C.
Also I find that with the 4 kegs and one reg and the Celli's if I get the keg to the right carbonation level at the start with force carbing, then by just leaving the gas at 80 to 100 kpa it maintains, pretty much, the various carbonation levels for the 4 different beers. I have an Irish Red, English Special Bitter and the Weizen and soon my Schwarzbeir and using this method they tend to hold their individual carbonation levels. I know the theory is that the c02 will come out of the beer and equalise but I guess this takes a long time. That my findings anyway.

Steve
SJW,
Next time try 300kpa or full pressure twice a day(12hours apart)twice as quick, hit it 3 or 4 times. Works for me every time. Easy NO shaking.
Cheers,
15BL

SJW,
Next time try 300kpa or full pressure twice a day(12hours apart)twice as quick, hit it 3 or 4 times. Works for me every time. Easy NO shaking.
Cheers,
15BL

Will do mate, I did not realise the c02 got absorbed so quick. Twice a day for half the time ;)

Back