Force carb with blow off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithfarmerwa

Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been messing with pressure fermenting with my LA (partigyle) beer, as i don't have enough fridge space to do the first and second runnings at the same time.
I am planning to use the blow off from the spunding valve to force carbonate the previous batch of first runnings (not fermented under pressure.

Has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad that they would care to share?

Cheers'n'beers

Keith

Im sure you could simply hook a gas line to the valve (assuming you are using a blowtie?) and into the gas post of the keg with the first runnings.
Another option, given you dont have fermenting space for 2 beers is what I do with partigyles.
Firstly, cube the first runnings and if you want the second runnings. You will have a big beer (1st R) and a small beer (2nd R). Then ferment your small beer first in the pressure fermenter. This will act as a starter to get the big yeast pitch required for your Big beer. ferment and keg then drop the big beer onto the fresh yeast cake, ferment, and carb naturally and keg.
I have done this a few times with success. I have not noticed any issue with the second ferment as there is some discussion around reusing yeast that has fermented under pressure- my experience has found no difference.

Latest posts

Back