• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan

If you click on my name on the left hand side you will see the option to send message.

I only have chinook left. Cascade and Victoria sold out very quickly as I only had a small amount of them.

Chinook is the best growing hop in my experience (compared to cascade, victoria, goldings, POR and cluster, all of which i have grown in the past over a number of years) so if you are new to growing hops these are the ones to grab (awesome sales pitch, pats self on back :rolleyes: ). The hop in the picture a page or 2 back is chinook.

Cheers
Mark

Yep, nice pitch. Are you every used car dealer I've ever dealt with as a day job ?

Anyway, It was an aroma/flavor hop I was after really, so I'll leave it for now.

I'll keep an eye out next time,

Cheers, Dan (Go Melbourne Brewers at the British Ales Comp)

Thanks Doctor,

My Chinook Rhizome turned up in the mail today.

Can't wait till spring to plant it. Just got to rig something up for it to climb on.

I have heard that Cascade and Chinook hops go well together in a brew. Can anyone confirm that as fact?
I only have space to grow two hop plants so I will have to choose my next hop variety wisely to compliment the Chinook.

Any suggestions? What goes well with Chinook?

Cheers All,

Chinook definitely goes nicely with cascade, along with the fruity hops of aus and nz.

Have a play around with a few combos of hop rhizome varieties you can get your hands on and see which you prefer.

Sponge

Yep, nice pitch. Are you every used car dealer I've ever dealt with as a day job ?

Dr,

Jeez, you have been down graded a fair bit :unsure:

Anyway, It was an aroma/flavor hop I was after really, so I'll leave it for now.

I'll keep an eye out next time,

Cheers, Dan (Go Melbourne Brewers at the British Ales Comp)

Chinook is an aroma/flavour hop for me, i use it at 20 mins and flameout in a golden ale with a bittering hop of known AA. Not wasting my fresh hop boiling them for 60 mins!

A few of the local brewed a 10 min IPA last year that had 400g of my dried homegrown chinook flowers added at 10 mins in a 40L batch. Split batch - i fermented with WY1272, Phil used WY1187. Both very enjoyable IPAs, Phils was nicer as the FG was higher and balanced the bitterness better (we calculated 60 IBU based on an AA% of 9, OG 1.060)

Chinook is an aroma/flavour hop for me, i use it at 20 mins and flameout in a golden ale with a bittering hop of known AA. Not wasting my fresh hop boiling them for 60 mins!

A few of the local brewed a 10 min IPA last year that had 400g of my dried homegrown chinook flowers added at 10 mins in a 40L batch. Split batch - i fermented with WY1272, Phil used WY1187. Both very enjoyable IPAs, Phils was nicer as the FG was higher and balanced the bitterness better (we calculated 60 IBU based on an AA% of 9, OG 1.060)

Perhaps I'm getting hung up on high AA means exclusively bittering. I suppose if they're only exposed to short or no boil, you'd only get the flavour, little or no isomerization.
As a matter of interest, what would be the favours from Chinook ? I like the sound of Summit personally...tangerine,grapefruit etc...possibly combined with the afore-mentioned Cascade for a really zesty Pale or IPA.
Thanks for the tips, I'm still very green...and trying to not look like an idiot whilst wheeling out 'isomerization'...fingers crossed :huh:

Perhaps I'm getting hung up on high AA means exclusively bittering. I suppose if they're only exposed to short or no boil, you'd only get the flavour, little or no isomerization.
As a matter of interest, what would be the favours from Chinook ? I like the sound of Summit personally...tangerine,grapefruit etc...possibly combined with the afore-mentioned Cascade for a really zesty Pale or IPA.
Thanks for the tips, I'm still very green...and trying to not look like an idiot whilst wheeling out 'isomerization'...fingers crossed :huh:

The chinook grown in my backyard is much more like B Saaz (Motueka) than US Chinook. Citrus (grapefruit/mandarin), passionfruit. Some have suggested they get hints of Nelson Sauvin as well.

Chinook definitely goes nicely with cascade, along with the fruity hops of aus and nz.

Have a play around with a few combos of hop rhizome varieties you can get your hands on and see which you prefer.

Sponge

Thanks for the feedback Sponge. I'll keep researching on this site and the net but I think your right. I'll have to get onto some cascade. I have some chinook and cascade pellets in the freezer so I'll try them together in my next brew and see how it goes.

Cheers,

The profile sounds great.

Does anyone know if they will get into Perth? I'll be interested if they won't get quarantined.

Cheers

The profile sounds great.

Does anyone know if they will get into Perth? I'll be interested if they won't get quarantined.

Cheers

You need to find a local to get your hops from due to your states quarantine restrictions. Normally Rupert (Hopswest on ebay) is selling hops from WA but I haven't seen him yet this year.

I have an eddress of Rupert's from back in 2010 - might still be active
- pm me if anyone wants it.

Edit: Actually, here is his ebay page: hopswest

I have an eddress of Rupert's from back in 2010 - might still be active
- pm me if anyone wants it.

Edit: Actually, here is his ebay page: hopswest
Just ordered some cascade off him today. Apparently (if I read the ad correctly) he is only offering cascade this year.

You need to find a local to get your hops from due to your states quarantine restrictions. Normally Rupert (Hopswest on ebay) is selling hops from WA but I haven't seen him yet this year.

Thanks DrSmurto and Mr Malty.

Received mine today. thanks for the fast delivery there in the fridge ready for spring.

Received my little rhizomes DrS!
Thanks for the efficient packaging and postage. I'm looking forward to getting them into the ground!
:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back