• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale - Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read the topics on here but i would interested to chat with some brisbane hop growers. Maybe i should start attending babbs meeting.

Still unsure about wherd to plant in my yard and when for our climate.

sorry to off topic a little, i have a saaz at home, it's in the ground, it's about a foot and a half high climbing a wire. it's still it's first year, i planted late. i'm wondering if i should leave it this way or cut it down to ground level over winter?

cheers and thanks for the rhyzomes Dr.S

-Phill

If the above ground growth is still green I would leave it. When it's brown, cut it down :lol:

You dont need to answer this Dr Smurto as I know you are flat out packing hops ect. But as I have never grown hops before I am pumped to give it a crack. So have I got it right. You plant the little hop rhizome after last frost, say August here in Newcastle. I will be starting them in a pot for the first season while we build out new home. Anyway, they grow, I train 2 bines up a rope to a 3m high horizontal post, then run some horizontal wires out from that? then the produce the goods and I harvest in April. Then do I leave the vine or bines alone until they start to brown? then do I cut it right back to the ground? If so, does that mean all the photos I have seen of huge hop plants, they grew like that in one summer?

Steve

You dont need to answer this Dr Smurto as I know you are flat out packing hops ect. But as I have never grown hops before I am pumped to give it a crack. So have I got it right. You plant the little hop rhizome after last frost, say August here in Newcastle. I will be starting them in a pot for the first season while we build out new home. Anyway, they grow, I train 2 bines up a rope to a 3m high horizontal post, then run some horizontal wires out from that? then the produce the goods and I harvest in April. Then do I leave the vine or bines alone until they start to brown? then do I cut it right back to the ground? If so, does that mean all the photos I have seen of huge hop plants, they grew like that in one summer?

Steve

Correct on all counts.
You will only get limited hop flowers if any in the first season growing, but after that, look out!

Correct on all counts.
You will only get limited hop flowers if any in the first season growing, but after that, look out!
Cool, so its the root ball that holds all the power for next seasons growth. So as long as I dont dig up the root ball and cut it all away and replant (thats would be like starting season 1 angain) it should take off like a frog in a sock. Sounds like fun. Might work the two rhizomes into a mid summer canopy over the new chick coop.

Steve

Looking forward to getting and planting these. I don't have the space at my place as its just a west facing apartment, but the parents have a large block of land with plenty of room for hops, so I'll be planting them and letting the old man look after them as he's retired and enjoys gardening.

If only the old cascades didn't sell out so quickly.... Oh well. I'm a lover of chinook and have enjoyed the stella (which sounds very similar to victoria) ale I made a couple of months ago, so am looking forward to both of these ^_^

Cheers Dr. S

Sponge

PM'd. Anyone tried to grow Victoria variety in Qld yet?

I grew Victoria and Cascade on the Sunshine Coast this season, in a very lazy fashion and harvested enough for 4 brews.

I brought the rhizomes up from the Victorian Coast where I harvested a couple of Kgs in my first year, was crazy the amount of hops I had. Even had my then 6yo Girl picking with me.

I'm going to put some more effort in this coming season, with soil condition works underway already (Chook and Alpaca Poo) dug in and mulched in the new growing patch.

I grew Victoria and Cascade on the Sunshine Coast this season, in a very lazy fashion and harvested enough for 4 brews.

I brought the rhizomes up from the Victorian Coast where I harvested a couple of Kgs in my first year, was crazy the amount of hops I had. Even had my then 6yo Girl picking with me.

I'm going to put some more effort in this coming season, with soil condition works underway already (Chook and Alpaca Poo) dug in and mulched in the new growing patch.

Cool, did you just place them where they get the most sun in Qld? or try to shelter from hottest part of the day? (not that the last few summers have been sweltering)

My patio is north-east-ish facing so possibly ideal.

Mine arrived in the mail today and are now resting peacefully in the back of the fridge until September.

Thanks DrSmurto.

Got mine today also.
Thanks Dr Smurto

Looking forward to homegrown hops.

Mine on the door step when i got home, thanks Dr Smurto!

Latest posts

Back