Food Coloring In A Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
was thinking of doing and irish red ale and wanted it to be really really red int color , is there any reason why I cant add some drops of red food coloring to the wort to get it red .

Hope that is not a silly question but I was thinking of doing it and here is the palce to get these types of questions answered. and i ran a 30k race yesterday and the brain might not be back to namral yet

Thanks
AW

was thinking of doing and irish red ale and wanted it to be really really red int color , is there any reason why I cant add some drops of red food coloring to the wort to get it red .

Hope that is not a silly question but I was thinking of doing it and here is the palce to get these types of questions answered. and i ran a 30k race yesterday and the brain might not be back to namral yet

Thanks
AW

If you want it to look like the red behind your arsenal logo then yes you could. An irish red isnt that red though.
Cheers
Steve

Good call Mick.

AW, colouring your beer with food colour will make it a new colour but that is not all that colour in a beer does. Dye your VB red and it'll still taste and smell like VB. Fine for things like green beer at St Patrick's Day, but why would you bother to colour a beer red? Adding coloured malts to the beer will not only change the colour, but give you the taste that the colour tells your palate to expect.

I reckon the teeeeeeniest drop of red food colouring in a 23L batch would accentuate the redness of an already red beer quite nicely... Can't see how it would have any effect on flavour either. Give it a go! I'll bet some of the boys at the big end of town do it...

Carared - nice red hue...caraaroma - rich ruby hue....carafa (used sparingly) - deep, dark red, ifyou don't go overboard...caraamber -haven't used, but others claim its ridiculously red....

and of course, as stated, just plain old dark crystal.

lots of choices. :icon_cheers:

Thanks Guys

I was going to do the recipe of an Irish red from the recipedb right here but thought just for something a bit different I would add some red coloring as well but of course I will do some palying round with the grains as well

AW

Only one way to find out.

Add a tiny drop to a glass of beer and see what happens to the colour.. That should give you a good indicator of what will happen in a full size batch.

Back