Foamy Keg Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny, I just thought I had an issue with my 2 brews in 2ndary in their fridge set to 18c as I just had the probe dangling in the fridge(heard this is an issue), I thought they would have been colder as the fridge is adjusting itself based on the temp of the air inside the fridge(not the brew) and obviously would make the wort colder(I dont open the fridge hardly), when I strapped the probe to the cube with blu-tac, it was all good and was holding a steady temp nicely as per fridge temp...

Maybe im babbling but I really dont think there is much of a swing of temperatures in your fridges unless you are constantly in them all the time or just leave them open, once your beer is at a certain temp (1ltr or 19ltrs) it takes a massive adjustment in temps to change the temps in your beer based on volume, especially when it comes to kegs I think as they are quite nicely insulated aswell..

Cheers

Ok, let me offer the following:

Temperature of the beer and head pressure affect the carbonation levels. So if the beer is still fermenting, the head pressure will increase due to the fermentation process.

The this point abd the amount of head space shouldn't affect it too much, as the gas/pressure regulator should keep it under control. A regulator should bleed off too much pressure or increase the pressure should it fall behind the set point. Unless there regulators out there that don't bleed off excess pressure??? If so, there could be more pressure in the keg causing over carbonation.

When you get foam, the main cause is the beer heating up before or in the glass. This is due to the gas leaving the liquid at the warmer temps outside the keg. Personally, as my font is unflooded at the moment, and my glasses are also at room temp... the first pour foams up due to the tap and glass being at least 20*C above the temp in the keg. When my system was flooded via a bucket inside the keggorator, the problem was lessened.

I also find that placing the thermostat probe of my keggorator inside the bucket of water that floods my font eliminated the foaming on my system. But keep in mind that my pouring pressure marries up to 2.7 co2 volumes on the pro mash forced carbonation calculator.

When you get foam, the main cause is the beer heating up before or in the glass. This is due to the gas leaving the liquid at the warmer temps outside the keg. Personally, as my font is unflooded at the moment, and my glasses are also at room temp... the first pour foams up due to the tap and glass being at least 20*C above the temp in the keg. When my system was flooded via a bucket inside the keggorator, the problem was lessened.

Not an issue with my system. The lines are cooled and I still get foaming near the end of a keg. I can honestly say that temperature has nothing to do with what I'm observing.

nor with mine...no pics, but I know that my taps aren't warm.....picnic taps aren't fancy by any means, but warm taps aren't an issue when they're inside the fridge itself.
Actually with mine, I dont get foaming beer at the end of the keg....due no doubt to the lower carb of the English style, combined with line that is just a smidge long for the pressure...what I do get is visually obvious increase in carbonation. Not enough in my case to foam, or be particularly problematic, but it is there.

Eureka! A possible explanation for the foaming near the bottom of the keg just came to me.....

CO2 can be ripped out of solution by turbulence - think of the syringe trick to get a creamy head on an otherwise flat beer. When you drain a sink or a bathtub, eventually a tiny whirlpool will form, right? What I think may be happening is that when the beer gets down to a certain level in the keg, a whirlpool can extend from the beer's surface right down to the dip tube when you pull a pint. That whirlpool would be enough turbulence to cause foaming. Disconnecting the CO2 from a nearly drained keg helps to counteract this by gradually lowering the overall CO2 level in the beer.

Whatcha think?

Eureka! A possible explanation for the foaming near the bottom of the keg just came to me.....

CO2 can be ripped out of solution by turbulence - think of the syringe trick to get a creamy head on an otherwise flat beer. When you drain a sink or a bathtub, eventually a tiny whirlpool will form, right? What I think may be happening is that when the beer gets down to a certain level in the keg, a whirlpool can extend from the beer's surface right down to the dip tube when you pull a pint. That whirlpool would be enough turbulence to cause foaming. Disconnecting the CO2 from a nearly drained keg helps to counteract this by gradually lowering the overall CO2 level in the beer.

Whatcha think?

Brilliant :) Someone buy that man a beer!!!

it makes perfect sense for sure!

Eureka!...etc.

Whilst this is entirely logical in the event of foaming, I still think it's more to do with absorption of excess co2 rather than co2 coming out of solution....mainly due to my experiences, where there is more co2 activity in the glass itself, but not enough to cause excessive foaming....

Hello dere,

1. Get a beer jug and stick it in the freezer 1/2 hour before the off.

2. First pour the the day, turn the tap full on and let about 1/2 glass go, then stick
the jug under the still running amber fluid. If it still froths up and the keg is near full, then you need to lower your pressure, 100 or over is too much pouring pressure, try
for 80 - 95.

3. If that don't work, get to love frothy beer. :D

cheers
BB

Back