Foaming keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
I was keg hopping and opened the keg to retrieve the hop bag after it tasted a little grassy. Beer was nicely carbed and pouring well before. Re pressurised and now when I'm pouring all I get is foam? I've turned the pressure right down and let for a day and still no joy. Can't see how it could now be over carbed. Any suggestions on what the issue might be?

I'd take it off the gas completely, release the pressure as much as possible, wait and repeat until it's pouring without foam. Hop matter left over in the keg will create more nucleation points, making it worse if it's over carbed.

It could be some hop matter stuck in the beer out valve on the keg. Happened to me a while ago. I thought I'd over-carbed a keg, so I flattened it & still no difference. Tried different taps and guns - nothing but foam, even though the keg was nearly completely flat.
I unscrewed the valve (after releasing the pressure & removing the lid), removed the pickup tube and saw bits of hop matter stuck on the inside of the valve fitting.
I've got a spare beer line connector (3 pin lock), so I connected that to the valve & just blew all the crap out using a compressor.
Hasn't happened again since, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time with all the dry hopping I do these days.

Thanks guys. I was keg hopping I'm a hop bag so not sure about the particulates.

ajmuzza said:
Thanks guys. I was keg hopping I'm a hop bag so not sure about the particulates.
Have you tried putting your gas line on your beer post and giving it a squirt? If there is something stuck in the bottom of the dip tube that should blow it out.

Just a thought.
The only thing you did was remove the lid, remove the bag and then put the lid back on.

Try removing the lid and checking the seal and rim of keg for something that might not be sealing properly.

If there is a leak it may affect pouring pressure, not sure, although it will definitely render your gas bottle empty.

My bet is pulling the bag you let out a bunch of tiny hop bits.

Just give it all time to settle out, like it originally did. Some people put gelatine in the keg to settle out hops and yeast, I've never done this but planning to next time. Look it up, might help.

Back