Fly Blown Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
I want to brew this, sounds delicious. I dug it up on the forum somewhere, and punched it in. When it says 'cane sugar' - whats the best to use here, raw sugar or? Also if anyone knows where to find the original recipe, Please let me know.

Fly Blown Belgian

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 40.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.148
Total Hops (g): 100.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.04 %
Colour (SRM): 5.1 (EBC): 10.0
Bitterness (IBU): 11.2 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
7.782 kg Pilsner (85.07%)
0.615 kg Munich I (6.72%)
0.410 kg Cane Sugar (4.48%)
0.205 kg Caraamber (2.24%)
0.136 kg Victory (1.49%)
Hop Bill
----------------
60.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
40.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with

Vini2ton said:
Candi's dandy. It's Belgian ain't it?
Yeah you could be onto something - but I would not have a clue how much would be appropriate.. :\

Basically I wanna brew something to use the t58 yeasts I've rinsed. Plus I really love wit beers, belgian ales.

I dont add my table sugar to about day 3 into the ferment, let the yeast consume the complex grain sugars first.

I'd invert the sugar or make candi sugar
Add the sugar to a pot with enough water to make a thickish paste, a good squeeze of lemon juice and then boil it for 15 minutes to get invert sugar syrup

If you want candi sugar
Boil it at 126C until it's at whatever darkness you want, don't let it get above 135, add some water if it keeps going up, this will flash boil off almost immediately and bring the temp down
Then bring up over 150C for a minute or so , pour into a paper lined try and let it set
I only got mine up to 151C for about 10 seconds and then called it quits, it ended up still sorta soft and sticky, I'll be giving it longer at a slightly higher temp next time

Damn, from the title of this thread I thought it was another infection!

Back