Floaties In My Harvested Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillihilli

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

About two weeks ago I bottled a Pale Ale which I brewed from Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast. At the end of the brew, I drained all the beer off the yeast cake. I then added about 500ml of sterile water, and put it in (what I thought were) sterile containers. I started with one, then split it with more sterile water into two.. I did exactly the same thing with my Wyeast Belgian Wit.

I checked the yeasts this morning, and discovered that both the American Ales had a floaty in them. It looks like a loose half of a cotton ball floating around. I also checked the Belgian Wit - nothing but a few dead yeast cells on the bottom so it is particular to the two American Ales.

I harvested the yeast so I could re-cycle it and get more value out of it ($15 a pop).

Has anyone seen this before? I'm scared to use it now.

It smells OK. I not sure it's an infection as I would have thought that the floaty would get bigger and bigger if that was the case and have a smell of some sort. It smells like beer yeast. Any thoughts?

Hi Chilli

I havn't seen this before but it sounds sus to me. Particularly if it looks different to the Wit sample you salvaged. If it was me I wouldn't use it.

I harvest yeasts as well but hygiene (and luck) is so important. I've had a few infections that I suspect came from yeast farming. In the home environment it is really difficult to maintain a high standard of hygiene.

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi Y'all,

About two weeks ago I bottled a Pale Ale which I brewed from Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast. At the end of the brew, I drained all the beer off the yeast cake. I then added about 500ml of sterile water, and put it in (what I thought were) sterile containers. I started with one, then split it with more sterile water into two.. I did exactly the same thing with my Wyeast Belgian Wit.

I checked the yeasts this morning, and discovered that both the American Ales had a floaty in them. It looks like a loose half of a cotton ball floating around. I also checked the Belgian Wit - nothing but a few dead yeast cells on the bottom so it is particular to the two American Ales.

I harvested the yeast so I could re-cycle it and get more value out of it ($15 a pop).

Has anyone seen this before? I'm scared to use it now.

It smells OK. I not sure it's an infection as I would have thought that the floaty would get bigger and bigger if that was the case and have a smell of some sort. It smells like beer yeast. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you've still got a huge yeast bank of the stuff to me. :D Crack one open, drink it and make a starter!
Here I was lamenting the loss of my recycled yeast. Didn't even think of that. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson... Doh!

Thanks for the tip.

No worries. My second tip was gonna be to buy some US05, because it's the same yeast ... but that might open a can of worms B) !

I just followed your instructions and simply had to open a brew and drink it.. oh well, thems the breaks. I boiled a jar and some water and added about 40g of Light DME (about 400 ml of water) and swirled it all around. It all fizzed as I poured in the dregs.. Not sure if that means anything but I'm confident my yeast will go on.

Latest posts

Back